Sick Leghorn

Elvissmom

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 19, 2018
Carlisle, PA
Help!! We have 1 approx. 2 yr old White Leghorn that we rescued from a neglect situation in June. She has been doing GREAT until today. She has always been very friendly and talkative. This morning she won't come out of her nesting box. She is very quiet, has really bad diarrhea and she is drinking a lot. I took her out of her nesting box and watched her walk. She does not appear egg blocked. Can someone please give me some advice. I am VERY worried about her.

Hi and welcome

Where in the world are you? If the northern hemisphere then has she started to moult yet? Some birds hardly seem to notice that they are moulting and others take it pretty bad and appear to feel lousy. Does she sleep in the nest box and if so why? Are there any feathers in the nest box that would suggest that she has started moulting? Do you have any other hens?

hello @Elvissmom ; sorry to hear about your poor girl, but welcome to BYC :frow . You will find lots of people who can offer advice, and rebrascora is one of the most knowledgeable on illnesses, so is really worth listening to.

hi, We live in central PA. So far she hasn't started molting. Last night was the first night was it was in the 30's. We only have the 1 hen that we rescued in June. And she is my first experience with chickens. Thanks for all the advice and the warm welcome.

She does sleep in her nesting box. When we first got her she roosted, but now she puts her head under her wing and sleeps in her nest. She has been doing that for months. She has always been a great layer. last week she had a 80 gram egg!!:D

Don't mention it; happy to try to help. She will be lonely, apart from anything else going on; chickens are flock animals. Any chance you can get another for company?

We were thinking of getting her a friend, but she is SOOOO spoiled now, were are not sure how it would work out. She is my first experience with chickens. She picked us to rescue her from a neglect situation. She has been alone since June 8th. I give her lots of toys, treats and put a mirror in her 4 story coop.

Ok, so not moult then.

What do you feed her? ie main feed and any treats. Does she have access to both grit and crushed oyster shell or egg shells? Does she free range or is she penned? Does she have access to grass or other vegetation?

Can you feel her crop (the food pouch on the front right of her chest) when she goes to bed tonight, make a mental note of how full it is and the consistency of the contents ie firm or granular or mushy or like putty that holds it's shape when you squeeze it? Remove access to food, so that she cannot eat anything in the morning before you get to her and then feel her crop again. It should be flat and empty in the morning. If it is not, she may have a partial blockage somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom