Sick, lethargic chicken, getting worse - Please help!

chickensss9

Chirping
Apr 5, 2017
Hi,
I just joined backyard chickens because of my Columbian Blacktail hybrid hen's health. She is very lethargic and has creamy, watery diarrhoea with green pieces in it. This all started about two days ago and since, I have been feeding her water with poultry tonic (vitamins) in it and layer's pellets that have been mashed into water. Today she will not eat the mash and I have to spoon feed her the poultry tonic water. She has her eyes closed almost all the time. I have kept her in an isolated, quiet, emergency nest away from the other chickens so that they don't get what she has. I phoned the seller, who has fully vaccinated her and wormed her before I bought her and he says to keep her isolated and for her to keep drinking the poultry tonic. This morning I felt her crop and it was not empty in the morning. It was slightly mushy and grainy (from the food). Please help me!
I am really stuck here of what she has and if she does not make it, I don't want the other chickens getting what she has, but she is isolated though. Also I have felt her for bound eggs and I can't feel one.
If you have any idea what she might have, I would love to hear it. Right now, it is almost like she is constantly asleep. I am doing everything I can for her, please help me!
Thanks.

Hi, my chicken I think has the same symptoms, except her poop is a watery yellow colour. She can stand for a bit before sinking to the ground. I've researched and I think maybe she's eggbound (but I can't feel and egg) or has an internal infection. She is breathing heavily with beak open. I would say take her to the vet, that's what I'm going to try the do with mine.
Hope this helps x

Thank you, I also can't feel the egg so I'm confused. She has gotten worse now and I don't think she has long left.

Just to update, my hen has died in her sleep. I have just cleaned everything she came into contact with. If anyone has any knowledge of this strange condition, I would be very happy to hear it. Thank you 'chicken12333' for responding also.

I'm sorry to hear that. My hen also died about 20 minutes after my last post, just as I was going to give her medication. She had only been showing symptoms for a day or so, it's possible maybe your hen had contracted the illness same as mine? I'll keep an eye out for any information regarding these kind of illnesses. X

Also, I'm sorry to hear that. As I was cleaning out the coop yesterday, I noticed that her poop left almost a bluish, green stain before washing off so I'm wondering if she was poisoned by something in the garden while free ranging. The seller on the phone explained that daffodils are poisonous, but my main thought is that is was a disease. Just hoping that the others don't show symptoms. Good luck with yours!

Back
Top Bottom