Sick lethargic hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pdxwes, Oct 22, 2011.

1. pdxwes

pdxwes New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    Assistance appreciated

Leghorn hen about 6 1/2 months old.
    Yesterday when let out of the henhouse/coop into the yard she went just outside the door and lay down. Didn't wander the yard with the rest of the chickens. Today she didn't want to move at all. My daughter put her into one of the nest boxes and she hasn't moved.

Her comb has become very droopy. Upon close inspection today it appears there is some brown forming on the tips.
    She does appear to be much thinner than the other 2 leghorns and their combs are "upright/floppy" whereas hers just droops.

No other birds have any symptoms. We are treating a RIR with a prolapse, but I would believe that to be unrelated.
    No sign of injury or trauma

I don't know if she has eaten or drank. I just isolated her into a porta-kennel. I gave her an egg scrambled with the shell in case she wants some food.
    I haven't seen her poop. Hope to see it in the kennel now that she is isolated.

She has been laying for about 4-5 weeks.

Having read threads, I've sent my wife to the feedstore for wormer and sulmet.

Any assistance would be appreciated. These are our children's "pets".

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.
    It seems it must be a bad day for Leghorns, this must be about the 3rd post with Leghorn problems.
    She might be eggbound. Try putting her in a container of warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside front to rear for about 20 minutes. You can put a little bit of olive oil in and around her vent making it easier to lay the stuck egg. The warm water will expand her innards and massaging will help move the egg along. Hopefully she'll lay the egg soon. Repeat as necessary. I wouldnt worm her nor give her sulmet....at least not yet. However, inspect her closely for lice/mites, especially around the vent area/rear end.

3. pdxwes

pdxwes New Egg

Oct 22, 2011
    I will do as advised for egg bound. I'll let my daughter do it when she gets home around noon.
    I'm don't believe this is it as we have 3 leghorns and had 3 white eggs yesterday. Unless someone doubled up I would assume this chicken laid an egg prior to 4pm yesterday when I noticed the issues.

Hen is in the dog porta-kennel and is now moving around. Maybe we are moving upward...

4. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I know, I have a leghorn problem too and we are thinking internal layer. Your sounds pretty much the same as mine. Hope she pulls through!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:It's possible one laid 2 eggs. I've had it happen with young Leghorns. Keep us posted and good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by