Sick, lethargic, pale chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fezlet, Oct 7, 2011.

1. fezlet

fezlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Alabama
    I saved a chick from a cat about 5 weeks ago. I think I have him on the road to recovery, but I just want to make sure what everyone thinks is going on is what I treated him for.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Unsure the breed. Been told he looks like a buff orpington roo. He's approximately 6 weeks old. Weight is unknown. He's skin and bones.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Standing still, head tucked in, lethargic, paling of the legs and comb. His comb was VERY pinkish red about a week ago. Uninterested in food/water
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? about five days.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? One did. A silkie chick a week and a half younger than he. She passed away on Tuesday.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. None.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I'm a new chicken owner and I was keeping him in a dog crate. Drafts could touch them, had no heat lamp.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. He wasn't drinking or eating anything, but he started eating a lot of bugs when I let him outside. I've been giving him a lot of organic, plain yogurt. This morning he is eating a little of his medicated chick feed and drinking water with Wazine17 in it.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. None. Three poops were dark dark red. Seemed to be old, dead blood. Usually it looks normal, if a little runny. He passed a live, adult roundworm the day after the silkie passed.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Began with corid + electrolytes. Dumped the electrolytes because I was unsure about mixing them and just gave them corid. Took out the corid and gave electrolytes/vitamins the next day. Cleaned his vent area and trimmed back feathers and fluff. Administering Wazine17 now for worms. Got a heat lamp with a 75W red bulb, a Rubbermaid tub to block drafts and bought a different brand (a better brand) of chick feed.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I'd be using a vet, but there's none in my area who treats poultry as far as I know. I need to treat him myself.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    [​IMG] This of him when he's standing still, head drooped with eyes closed. Calissa is the EE. She's in good condition.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Using pine shavings as of now inside a large Rubbermaid tub with heat lamp positioned above one end of the tub.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Poor little chick. I wish I knew exactly how long it takes to treat with Wazine, because I haven't used that before. How many days has he been on the Wazine total, and how many days do the directions say to treat. I hope someone who has used Wazine will respond. It seems like he should be passing dead round worms instead of live ones.

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    poor thing [​IMG] cocci maybe? no greenish poop though, right? i don't know. i really hope he pulls through!

4. fezlet

fezlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Alabama
    Nope. No green poop as far as I've seen. And I started giving the Wazine after I saw he had roundworms. It says to use it for about a day, so I've done that and now I have him back on the Corid just in case he has cocci, too.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    It certainly sounds like worms or parasites internal or external. When the wazine is finished switch to a different wormer. It is just for round worms only. Valbazen is not as hard on the hens but kills all the different kinds of worms. It is rather expensive but can be kept ref. a long time. It is liq. Use 1/4 cc per small hen and 1/2 cc per lg. hens. I do not know if it is ok for chicks but if all else fails maybe it will work. In the main time feed scrambled eggs for protein. It will help them to get over all this mess. [​IMG] Gloria Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by