Sick/lethargic pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ginenyira, Oct 27, 2016.

1. ginenyira

ginenyira New Egg

Oct 27, 2016
    Hi, I have an almost 4 month old red sex link chick. She is laying in the coop kind of toward one side of her body, with both eyes closed, scratching herself a bit and lets her head droop then pulls it up again. She has not yet laid any eggs. I have 6 chickens and i haven't seen any of them scratching or biting but i have not done any treatment for parasites - i've had the birds about 2 months.

Any advice? She is in a spot where it will be hard to reach her under an a-frame coop, would have to have my husband lift it up to try to get to her. Thanks!

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away... Premium Member

Get her out and put her in a dog kennel. If it's contagious she needs to be quarantined as soon as possible. If she won't eat layer pellets/crumbles then give her scratch or meal worms. If you can't get her to drink then soak her food in some water, give her some wet bread, etc., or drip some in her beak with a syringe.
    In my expierience parasites - at least external ones - don't affect a bird so serverly.
    Hope it isn't serious!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. At this age she could possibly have coccidiosis, be dehydrated, or more rarely showing signs of Mareks disease. You will need to get her out and place her in a crate or basket. Look at what she is eating or drinking, and at her droppings for diarrhea or bloody mucus. Make sure that she can move her legs and wings. Get her drinking some water, and add SaveAChick electrolytes with vitamins. Offer bits of egg with her usual feed. Symptoms of coccidiosis include sleepiness, weakness, runny poops or blood in droppings, no appetite, and it is best treated with Corid in the water. Mareks usually causes paralysis of one or both legs, wings, or the neck. You might also feel inside her vent with one finger an inch or two inside, for a stuck egg. Chcek her skin around the vent and elsewhere for mites or lice. Let us know what you find.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by