Sick Light Brahma chick-Already lost one

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobbied22, Mar 7, 2015.

1. bobbied22

bobbied22 New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    I ordered a variety of baby chicks from a hatchery and I had 3 Light Brahma chicks. I found one dead 2 days ago and I wasn't aware it was that sick. Now I have a second one of the same kind that is struggling to stand and just lays all the time. I have put the electrolytes and probiotics in their water and I have given her the nutri-drench. She looked better yesterday after the nutri-drench but I have to dip her beak in the water to make her drink and I have left chick feed in front of her. She pecks at it but I'm not sure she is actually eating it. She is VERY weak now. She is 5 days old today. What should I do? HELP. I raised 6 chicks last year with no problems or lose.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would put another waterer in with them with plain water so they hae a choice. You can try dropping a drop of water along the side of her beak so she can pull it in her mouth; takes time but it can be an effective way to get them drinking. They may just be victims of shipping stress. Unfortunately, they don't always recover from this. But a good part of shipping stress is usually dehydration, so I'd try the dropper method. Be sure the brooder is big enough that there are warmer and cooler spots so they can choose for themselves; it's easy to overheat a weak chick. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  3. bobbied22

bobbied22 New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. She didn't make it. I'm not sure if it was that particular breed as I ordered 3 each of 5 different breeds and I only lost that breed. The remainder seem to be doing fine as of now. I'm still giving them the electrolyte and probiotic pouches of the Sav-A-Chick. I do have another question. I have a bantam that I picked up that are the same age at my local TSC and it cannot chirp nor does it seem to be able to drink a lot at once. I'm sure it's probably a defect from birth but I wanted to see if anyone else has seen this.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Of course you may lose that one, too. Some of them just don't get a good enough start in life, it seems, whether from defeect or not being handled well in their first hours. However, dehydration remains the biggest risk that you can do something about. I would again try the dropper method, trying to ensure it gets a "normal" amount of water. Once they start drinking, sometimes brand new chicks will accept a little of their feed mixed with water to a paste -- you can give this to all of them, just don't mix up much as what isn't eaten in half an hour or so should be tossed.' Good lcuk, and sorry you lost the ones you have.

5. bobbied22

bobbied22 New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    Thanks for all your help. I did lose the little one last night. I tried everything, two different waters made available and even tried to give it water with a dropper. I really think it had a defect of some sort as it couldn't hold water down either. It was like it couldn't swallow anything and it didn't grow one bit while I had it and the others did. But like you said there are some that just don't make it. I have 19 healthy chicks at this point that are thriving. I look forward to enjoying them and adding them to my current flock once they are old enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by