Sick Light Brahma chick-Already lost one

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bobbied22, Mar 7, 2015.

1. bobbied22

bobbied22 New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    I ordered a variety of baby chicks from a hatchery and I had 3 Light Brahma chicks. I found one dead 2 days ago and I wasn't aware it was that sick. Now I have a second one of the same kind that is struggling to stand and just lays all the time. I have put the electrolytes and probiotics in their water and I have given her the nutri-drench. She looked better yesterday after the nutri-drench but I have to dip her beak in the water to make her drink and I have left chick feed in front of her. She pecks at it but I'm not sure she is actually eating it. She is VERY weak now. She is 5 days old today. What should I do? HELP. I raised 6 chicks last year with no problems or lose.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm sorry for your loss. Maybe they got chilled in shipping? Maybe the breeding stock was lacking vitamins? Keep a eye on their poop that they don't have Cocci and if any get a pasty butt it needs to be gently cleaned with warm water. You could add a small amount of ACV (mom's apple cider vinegar) to their water. Check that they aren't too warm or chilled in the brooder. I hope the rest do well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by