Sick Light sussex chicks

GypsyCandy

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2016
Hey all i got some little chicks that a coughing and yellow stuff coming out the nose. have them on broad anti biotics but i am not sure what i am treating them for any advice what i can give to my other coop over the other side of the house not to get it?? How often after the illness passes should i keep them seperate

Most respiratory diseases will cause the chickens exposed to be carriers after recovery. MG, coryza, infectious bronchitis, and ILT are the common ones to look up. Do you notice a bad odor from the sick birds, or are any of their eyes swollen or have sticky drainage?

i noticed bubble nose stuff is it worth keeping them alive or pts to save the rest of mine

I think that by the time we humans notice symptoms in chickens, they have an issue for a while. Your other flock members may have some immunity or a stronger immune system that is dealing with whatever the issue is, so immediate culling may, or may not work.

Here's a copy of a post that i made a few weeks ago that may be helpful if it turns out to be a respiratory issue.

"Respiratory sickness can spread from chicken to chicken (unless its caused by fungus or an allergy) and chances are by the time we notice the symptoms, they have been suffering from whatever it may be for some time.

There are a number of schools of thought on what to do - I'm sure there may be others BTW
1. Take your chicken to the vet and go from there
2. Dose the whole flock with broad spectrum antibiotics or if you can get one that is for respiratory infections then all the better (they will not kill a virus, but can help stop secondary infections)
3. Give the flock vitamins / electrolytes in their water to help give their immune system a boost and see how they go.

Theres no reason not to begin on the vitamins ASAP.

Some respiratory infections are only as harmful as humans getting a cold, others a lot more serious. Assuming your flock survive and get over the illness, bear in mind that they may be carriers of the illness for life and will pass it to new flock members. It would be unwise to sell or give any of your flock to other chicken keepers in the future."

As Eggcessive says, it could be a number of things, but if vets are not an option, as chicken keepers our options are not extensive as many diseases present very similar symptoms. All i know is that its very frustrating when it happens!

Good luck

All the best
CT

I only had them for 2 days and they got sick i lost all 5 little ones even on the antibiotics

Back
Top Bottom