Sick limping chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rhodies Rock, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Rhodies Rock

Rhodies Rock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    A few weeks ago my 1 yr old leghorn hen developed a limp. We kept her separate from the other chickens for about a week and she got better. This morning when I went out to feed, she had the limp again and so did my 2 yr old RIR hen. Both chickens are looking scraggly-the leghorn's wings are bald and the RIR's back is bald- I thought it was from our rooster mating them, but could it have anything to do with their limping? Also, the RIR's comb is tinged with purple and is a little flopped over in the back, so I am pretty sure she is sick. The leghorn laid an egg today and both are eating and drinking okay, although the RIR has not laid an egg recently. Some of the other chickens are acting quiet and droopy as well. And my 1 yr old barred rock roo's comb turns dark blue at the tips every day -- what's up with that? Any help is appreciated.

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Check posts about worms and other parasites out. I've not had to deal with it yet, but that often seems to be the culprit!!! Best of luck and hugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by