1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Little Chickie!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken gal, Oct 10, 2014.

1. chicken gal

chicken gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Hello,
    My brown leg horn hasn't been doing so good for a couple of months.[​IMG] We took her to the doctor and they weren't really sure what was wrong with her. But they did give us some medicine. (I don't remember the name and I can't pronounce it!) So we gave that to her and she was fine. We kept in "quarantined" during the time. She looked fine so we let her be free, well in the run. The good thing is she still has her appetite but she walks slowly and lays down just in the middle of the coop or run. She can get up on the roost though. Can someone tell me whats wrong and how I can fix it! [​IMG]

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Could you name things she ha s benn doing?Also,what animals do you have and are you having flea or tick problems with animals.What's her surroundings?How many chickens do you have,last but not least how long have you had her?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is your chicken? Does she walk with any limping or loss of balance? Has she ever had any difficulty in laying eggs or had soft shell eggs? Did she have a Mareks vaccine?

4. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    She sorta just stoodat rocked back and forth. She had always been a strong layer. I have know idea what a Mareks vaccine is....

5. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    Well I have 5 other chickens. I live in Alaska so we don't have ticks here. I have had my chickens for about two years. She lives right next to my garage with a tarp over the run and a fence around our yard. Since she lived next to my garage there are mice so she might have eaten some of it's feces..... thanks.... I am still crying inside.....

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You may have to check for an egg with a gloved oiled finger. Is her abdomen soft or hard or distended? There are so many possibilities, it's hard to know. How old is she?

7. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    Well she has died.... so I can't check.. And she was about 2 and 1/2 years old

8. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014

Awww I'm sorry.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

10. chicken gal

Nov 10, 2012
    Thanks guys........