Sick little cockerel

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Adiamante, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Adiamante

Adiamante In the Brooder

Dec 8, 2018
    Olympia, Washington
    Dear Helpful Folks,
    I began my chicken adventure a month ago with six female chicks and one male, all purchased when they were a day or two old.

From the start, the male has lagged behind the rest. I kept hoping he would catch up, but now I am wondering if something is seriously wrong.

He is now about five weeks of age. He huddles with his wings dropped. His abdomen seems distended. He is smaller than the rest. His vent seems clear, but as I said, his tummy seems swollen.

He seems to eat and drink normally. I am not sure about his poop. Suggestions?

IMG_0142.jpg IMG_0138.jpg

casportpony likes this.
  2. littlepip

littlepip Songster

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    awwwww he's so cute! :loveI would recommend taking him to a vet. That's always the best option when you're unsure.:confused: as for the laying down and huddling/ swollen belly, I would ask you if you could take a picture of the "swelling". also, does he stand up or run around now and then? or does he just sit all day?

Keeperofmunchkins likes this.
  3. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    Yes can you post photos of the stomach area you say is swollen? Do his legs seem normal? Can he walk and run? Try to get photos of his poop as well. Has he always been like this?

Also on a side note I'm not so sure that 'he' is a he after all.

littlepip likes this.
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would start some Corid in the water to treat for possible coccidiosis. It is safe for all to drink. Dosage is 10 ml (2tsp) of the liquid Corid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder for each gallon of water for 7 days. He may have coccidiosis or just be a weak chick, but that is a good place to start. Probiotics are good to use also. Do not give any vitamins during Corid treatment, but it is fine and recommended when finished. The liquid Corid may be less expensive at Tractor Supply, and you can give him some undiluted Corid as well as letting him drink the Corid water. He can have 0.1 ml twice a day. Pictures of his belly or any poops would be good as well. How does his crop in his upper chest feel? I would try to take him aside, and give him a bit of chick feed made wet with water and a few bits of cooked egg.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Wyorp Rock and casportpony like this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    upload_2019-1-21_14-54-41.jpeg

Attached Files:

Wyorp Rock and casportpony like this.
  6. Adiamante

Adiamante In the Brooder

Dec 8, 2018
    Olympia, Washington
    Thank you all for the advice. I will work on more photos, and go pick up some of the medicine you recommend.

7. littlepip

littlepip Songster

Sep 1, 2018
    Minnesota
    I hope everything goes well! poor little chick! :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: