sick little girl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lalard3240, Oct 27, 2013.

1. lalard3240

lalard3240 New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    Hoping for some help here... I am new to chicken care (about 4 months in) I have 9 hens and a rooster. Well one of my hens hasn't grown like the rest, she is now about half the size of the others and is being picked on. They have pecked her vent until it is scabed over. I have taken little bit to the vet and he gave me ointment to rub on 2 times a day but it doesn't really seem to be helping a whole lot. I have her seperate from others and have had for a week now. Is there any thing else I can do to speed recovery and save this baby? Also suggestions on how to reintroduce her to coop while preventing this would be a great help

2. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    If you have some iodine or iodine soap, put that on her injury.Some chickens are just runts and don't grow very big.
    I don't really know how to reintroduce her to the other chickens.... she might have to live separate from them.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Is she the same breed as other chickens? Keep her separate until she heals,if you know there is one that bullies her,remove the bully(for a couple of days) when you reintroduce her,this should change the dynamics of the pecking order. Take one of your most docile hens and place her with the injured girl(WAIT until her wounds have healed)keep them together,see if they get along. If she has a friend,the pecking should not be a severe,and she will have someone on her side(think mean girls). Her being small,is probably a result of other hens not letting her eat,now that you have her separate,you can determine if this was the issue.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. lalard3240

lalard3240 New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    I will pick up some iodine and try that.

No I have 5 of one kind and 5 another..... will try placing her with a pal after she heals and then pull out my crabby girl and put her back in. Thank you!

5. lalard3240

lalard3240 New Egg

Oct 27, 2013
    How long should it take for her to heal? Was thinking of keeping her out for a month just to see if it helps with growth...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by