Sick Little Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TJY124, Jan 5, 2014.

1. TJY124

TJY124 New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    One of my little hens is sick and I don't know what to do to helper get better. Her breast area is full of fluid. I am not sure if she has a cyst full of fluid or if this is fluid in her lungs. I picked her up to feel the fluid and a bunch of mucus came up into her mouth. She spit it out onto the ground. The mucus smelled bad.

I am considering injecting her with Tylan and pulling her out of the flock for a few days. I would appreciate any advice. Especially if you have experienced this in the past. Thank You! Teri

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I believe you hen has sour crop, which is usually a fugal infection. It is sometimes a result of having had an impacted crop, or from a blockage lower down in the gizzard, and also sometimes just another illness that accompanies a more serious illness such as Mareks disease, coccidiosis, and many others. Massaging the crop downward helps, giving probiotics or a tiny bit of plain yogurt daily, and limiting foods to soft mushy foods like applesauce, scrambled egg, yogurt, and wet chicken feed, but no whole grains. Here is a good link about it: http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html

3. TJY124

TJY124 New Egg

Jan 5, 2014
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. I pulled her out of the flock, massaged her chest area, gave her soft food, and some probiotics. I will let you know how she is doing in the morning. Again, thank you for your help.

Teri

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by