Sick little one

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PeakyBeaky, Nov 28, 2010.

1. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    We have 4-5mo old little pullet(splash Wyandotte) that has stopped eatting/drinking. She is the smallest of our flock, and has always been one to stand by herself very laid back and friendly. Now, for the past 3 days she's just standing around, shivering. We brought her in the gatrage at first-still shivered, so now she's in our laundry room. She's small for her age compaired to the others-they have almost doubled in size and she still is the size of a small acorn squash.

We've been tring to give her eye dropper amounts of water w/vitamins in it. And I'm headed to Tractor Supply to see what antibiotics they have. Her poop is normal. No snot or respiratory issues and everyone else is doing great. We've had her about 2-3 months.

[​IMG]That's her on the left about a month ago.

2. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Just gave her some Tylan...poor little girl [​IMG]

3. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:Not looking good. She's getting weaker and sleepier. We got the antibiotic in her and some electrolyte water.

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I'm sorry about your little girl. I don't know what the problem could be, hopefully someone with more knowledge can help. Have you check to make sure she is not impacted? Hopefully the antibiotics will help.

5. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:She seems to have more water than solid wastes. I'll check her. Thanks [​IMG]

[​IMG] Bum shot.
    [​IMG] In her cage in the house.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  6. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Poor baby. She doesn't look like she feels good. You said she isn't eating, have you tried cooked egg to tempt her? Mine go crazy for the yolk, which I hide meds in if necessary. I am thinking of both of you.

7. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:Yeh, we tried that this am...she didn't want any [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like failure to thrive if she's so much smaller than the rest of the flock of the same age, sounds like your doing all you can at this point. Hopefully the antibiotic will kick in.

9. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:That's what we were wondering too. She has such a nice attitude too. Very "in your pocket", liked to be held. My 2 kids know she will likely pass, but she was still there favorite. Thanks for the kind thoughts [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Keep us informed, and you never know. I'll be thinking of you all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by