Sick little Pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CariLynn, Sep 19, 2010.

1. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    My little pullet Pippin, who I am estimating is about 6 months old now, is normally very active, jumps in my lap, is eager to take treats from me, and LOVES bread. Today, I went out to let them out and give them the scraps from dinner last night and all of them were up and eager save Pippin. I even brought bread out thinking maybe she was chilly, she did finally take a piece from me but, dropped it after a few feet and looked at it.

She did come out to the large run we have for them to be in that they can come in and out of their coop. She kept walking away from the other chickens, wanting to stop and close her eyes, is fluffed up, may be shivering a bit, and showed no interest in food at all. When I caught her to separate her, she was very quiet in my arms, was hot enough that it made my hand start to sweat so a definite fever going on, kept closing her eyes and her head would drift down onto my arm, and a clear discharge from her nose. I put fresh food and clean water in the kennel downstairs with some hay to lay on and she is laying down.

I am at a loss what to do. Horses yea, dogs sure, but my hens...I don't know. I am worried sick about her, I was in tears earlier as I was petting her...anyone have any ideas? She is pretty special to me.

I do want to note, they have had clear discharge, many of them, from the nostrils so I went and got some liquid medication you put in their water and that seemed to clear it up. My roo had some slight swelling too, to his face on one side, a few had mild gunky eyes but has since cleared up. Could some of this be an after effect of whatever I was dealing with?

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I don't know what might be wrong with her. I have only had chickens for a few months but have you tried to see if she will eat anything? Try giving something to boost protien like soft scrambled eggs. See if you can get some vitamins to give her (Polyvisol without iron). That might help pep her up. You said that you have her separated? If not I would just in case what she has is contagious. I am sure that someone will be able to help more. There is a list of questions in the emergencies section that you could answer that might help. I hope she gets better today! [​IMG]

3. CariLynn

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Pippin is a Barred Rock, approximately 6 months old and not sure how much she weighs, not a good judge

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Lethargy, keeps closing eyes, clear discharge from nose, is running a fever as body is hot, doesn't seem interested in food, keeps closing eyes, does not want to move around

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    just started this morning, was fine last night when I put them all up

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? only the clear discharge from the nose, but not all of them have it

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    None that I can tell when I looked her over this morning

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I have no idea. They all appear to be healthy, glossy, good appetite, drinking water, and moving around

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    yes to both until this morning

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Pippins poop has been normal no runnyness to it or odd look, have not seen it this morning

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Because some of my flock had the clear discharge, and my roo had some swelling to the side of his face, and a few with mild crusty eyes, I got some OTC liquid mediation you put in the water and that seemed to have helped a lot

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I can treat myself if I knew what was going on, she is separated with fresh food and water and in a cool, out of the way place in a kennel in the house.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    N/A
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    the coop is kept clean, I clean it out every few days. Last time I cleaned it I used what I had left in a bag of pine shavings for under the roost for the poop that is dropped while they sleep. In the nesting boxes is fresh orchard grass hay. Nothing I have not used before.

4. CariLynn

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    Tonight she was stand offish, didn't come when I went out with some grapes, would close her eyes and "walk" a few steps then stop, doesn't seem to be her normal self. I am still concerned. Anyone?

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by