1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick little silkie chick with pasty butt and mushy belly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coolchik, Apr 7, 2016.

1. coolchik

coolchik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2015
    Front Royal, Va
    Hello BYC friends! I need some help. I have a sick silkie baby she is 6 days old. We got her from our local feed store. When we first put her into the brooder, we noticed she had the dreaded pasty butt. I gave her electrolytes and some mashed up hard boiled egg, and I've washed her vent and have consistently cleaned her bum and used aquaphor on her little vent. As the other chicks grew, she has remained the same, she's so little and has been deteriorating. She became so weak I have since moved her to a separate brooder. I noticed she has a very soft belly and its bulging out a bit. What is it? Impacted crop on a baby bird? She looks so uncomfortable I really need some advice. Thanks everyone!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. Sylie

Sylie Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2014
  4. coolchik

Apr 19, 2015
    Front Royal, Va
    [​IMG]

5. coolchik

Apr 19, 2015
    Front Royal, Va
    No odor.... One minute she is lethargic and the next she's pecking away... We just gave her a dropper full of water with Bragg vinegar with "the mother". She has such a fighting little spirit! We are all rooting for her.

6. coolchik

Apr 19, 2015
    Front Royal, Va
    I looked at the link, but it looks like if it was mushy chick disease she would be dead already? Also, her swollen part is in her breast, not the rump. I have no idea what's going on with her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by