Sick Looking Chook =(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dook, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Dook

Dook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Wagga Wagga, AUS
    One of my girls, 'Imposter' Hasn't been behaving normally the last couple of days. She's usually full of life and the most talkative chook of the lot!

Recently she's just sort of crouching down, not quite standing, not quite sitting. Her tail is usually down, she wont move around much and tends to be sleeping in random spots during the day and she doesnt make any noises or 'dook' like she normally would all the time. I dont think she's laying either. She's got a messy rear- end and diarrhoea. (although, she's always been a bit messy there)

She eats and drinks perfectly fine, I've given her and the rest of the chooks a worming solution in their water. And I've fed her soggy oiled bread and crushed vitamins. To see if if she needs them or if she's having any digestive problems.

I'm not sure what could be wrong, but I hope she'll start getting better soon, as we'll be away for a week in just a few days! [​IMG]

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    ~Vicki

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Sounds like she might be eggbound. Maybe try soaking her in a warm bath. Of course, don't let her go outside until she is dry.

3. Dook

Dook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Wagga Wagga, AUS
    Thanks! I will give that a go [​IMG] and hope there will be improvement!

4. Dook

Dook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Wagga Wagga, AUS
    I gave her a 20min warm bath and dried her off completely and let her preen near the heater until all of her feather were nice and dry. She liked sitting near it keeping warm, i guess this is because it's raining and is fairly cold outside at the moment. She still squats and doesnt move much, but she gave me a few bawks which was nice to hear ^__^ So still the same, but i let her out side again to see if she's try and lay or not. She pooped inside... I took a nasty photo incase this help with diagnosis with her problem!

Also, She's only 10months old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  5. Dook

Dook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Wagga Wagga, AUS
    After being away for 5 days, she's looking really good and seems to be back to normal! [​IMG]

6. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

What a pretty girl you have! What breed is she?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by