Sick Mama..Sore Teat - was New Pics of Twins!!! when is she due

KidstwinsCODY.jpg

female is on the left(has no name) male on the right(Sam)

It seems the babies didn't eat on one side and Cody was huge on one side late this morning. We milked her a bit (a cup or so?) of course she didn't like it, but we did a bit and then left her. Went back a few hours later and milked again. Got more this time (2-3 cups?) but she still looks sore. Could she just be sore from being so full? She didn't seem to mind being milked on that side quite so much. We are hoping she lets the kids nurse on that side tonight. She has been kicking them off that side, but letting them nurse on the other happily. Here are some pics. One of each teat. Just wanted to make sure nothing more is going on. No one here has mastitis test strips. Farm store is ordering me some, but it will be a week. I drove 40 miles each way to a store for a mastitis test liquid stuff and it says it doesn't work on colostrum so there was no point there. As an ex long term nursing mother I can relate way too much and I want to minimize her discomfort as much as possible.

Sore side
leftsidefeb8.jpg

Not sore side
rightsidesmall-1.jpg

What stores did you go to? Did you check all of the feed stores in Buckley/Enumclaw? I know that's a little ways from you but you can't wait a week. There are quite a few. Just a thought.

Quote:
I went to the Farm Store in Chehalis. Apparently none of the Del's carry them. We are an hour from Tacoma so probably 90 minutes or so from Enumclaw? Not sure how far to Buckley. And to complicate things it was 3pm on a Sunday before we thought we needed them. Do the strips work on colostrum?

Last edited:
Buckley is just before Enumclaw. There is a King Feed in Enumclaw and Bill's Country Farm and Feed in Buckley. Never thought goats would be such a hassle
lau.gif
I guess I need to put the strips on my needs list too. I would just keep milking her out. I don't know about goats but when I looked like that when I was nursing my kids I put myself on the pump.

She's just sore from them not nursing that side, which is unusual since usually with twins they pick a side and stay there. She must be feeding them individually and they both prefer that side.

You need to milk it out completely, then try and get them sucking on that side. Once the pressure is relieved, she will feed a whole lot better. You may need to do this for several days until they get the idea. I had a doe kid in August 08 with a single (Angora doe) and she had so much milk the kid only nursed one side. The teat was getting big on the other side and I wanted to avoid having a blown out teat (yes, it can happen) and I had to milk that side once or twice a day for three weeks before the kid started drinking from it.

Back
Top Bottom