Sick meat birds... any info please?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EricH, Sep 11, 2010.

1. EricH

EricH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    Brief history, brooded my layers with 8 slow cornish and a black broiler. Since my layers got big enough, i put them with the main flock. Havent been spending tons of time with my meat birds in their pen (what i used as their brooder) lately. Figured the black broiler was just lazin around when id go out and take a peek/feed. examined closely today. his neck is stiff/eye wont open/lethargic. 1 slow cornish is lethargic/slow reactions and wont run around when chased. I dispatched the black broiler. Feel that i should dispatch sick slow cornish rooster too.

Anyone know what this might be? is it contagious?

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    are they cornish x rock?

3. EricH

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    well one was a black broiler. he was pretty bad so i just put him down. The rest are what they call slow cornish cross.

4. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    GET A DUAL PURPOSE BREED IT IS WORTH IT THEY BEARLY EVER GET SICK OR DIE! it does take longer and their not as big but they are healthy'er and you will get more. thats why I have buckeyes I just crossed my buckeye rooster with RIR hens and hatched 7 chicks for meat

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  5. EricH

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    i just saw the sticky - i probably wasnt clear enough before

7-8 week old slow cornish

just recently showed symptoms

lethargic/stiff neck (neck tucked in, not out and proud like a rooster)/runny stool

1 bird real bad, 1 just starting lethargy

they eat broiler feed and water

poop was very runny from what i saw

housing is a shed/makeshift brooder area - straw bedding.

since they are for consumption - really just need to know if you guys think its treatable, contagious, or just see if it heals up.

i have removed the seemingly healthy birds and put them into a totally separate pen.

6. EricH

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    Quote:no offense, but i posted this for advice, not to be preached at. i know the benefits of DP over commercial bred frankenchickens.... now, anyone have something useful?

7. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Eric, I suspect that they are just getting too big and top heavy....Too much pressure on the heart. I'd move to process them as quickly as possible. Take care. Nancy

8. EricH

Jul 25, 2010
    Valley Springs, ca
    i dunno, the black broiler roo was pretty tiny still... thanks for the input, guess we'll see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by