Sick, molting hen - I’m stumped.

AppleMomma65

Songster
Mar 16, 2020
Spooner, WI
My Coop
My Coop
Most hens in my flock are molting but one is definitely not well. She secluded herself from the group. Her tail is down, her comb and wattles are pale. Her crop is not full at the end of the night so I’m guessing she’s not eating. I’ve checked for mites - not seeing any. Her pop is white-ish and there’s very little of it. This a.m. she had a small greenish one. I’ve checked her mouth and I don’t see any “thrush” so don’t think it’s sour crop. I’ve given her Poulty Cell, NutriDrench, and water by syringe. She did take a bit of yogurt but not much. She will eat treats. I have her in the house during the day.
I’m at a loss. Any other things I can do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 59F55310-1FA6-4CF4-A5AE-453C886934CF.jpeg
    59F55310-1FA6-4CF4-A5AE-453C886934CF.jpeg
    849.1 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    763.8 KB · Views: 16
Yes. I just uploaded another poop. This is so frustrating. I’ve searched - what I feel is - everything and there’s just nothing I’m coming up with. The rest of the flock is perfectly fine.
Is she lower on the pecking order, if so she may being starved by the others, not letting her eat.

Yes. I just uploaded another poop. This is so frustrating. I’ve searched - what I feel is - everything and there’s just nothing I’m coming up with. The rest of the flock is perfectly fine.
Yes - she is second to the bottom. She’s 1.5 years old - seems odd tris would be affecting her now. She’s inside and not eating. I think I’m just going to have nature take its course with this … 😞

I've got a bird that is going through a really tough molt, and she doesn't want any of her usual favorites. I tried some wet cat food, though, and she went nuts for it (cannibal).

So i mixed some with some feed this morning just to get protein and her regular feed nutrients in her.

Sounds like there may be something else going on with your hen (I had another one die very suddenly, so may be more than just molting going on), but figured I'd mention the cat food (could also try tuna) if you want to give her another shot at weathering it and getting some protein in her.

Yes - she is second to the bottom. She’s 1.5 years old - seems odd tris would be affecting her now. She’s inside and not eating. I think I’m just going to have nature take its course with this … 😞
Offer her some eggs, or some other form of protein.

She looks done with molt to me. So, I don't think that's the issue.

I've heard of hens going through a hard molt starving themselves and secluding themselves from the flock. I wonder if she's just not handling the molt well?
Yes - she’s mostly done with her molt. I gave her some wet cat food and she had a bit but it’s not going to be enough to sustain her for long. My friend said I should give her a week and if no improvement then I should put her down. I’m heartbroken. I’ve been able to get through other things in my flock but not this.

Back
Top Bottom