Sick new Chick?

RedBrush Farm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Missouri
Had a good quail hatch, but one of the eggs did nothing but I could hear the little thing chirp. I waited 2 days and he still had not pipped. I decided to help him out and he was almost shrink wrapped. He is fully formed and had absorbed the yolk sack. He has lived 2 days now, but will only lay on his side and move his feet in the air. I have been giving his sugar water every couple of hours. He moves and chirps a lot when I am feeding him. Is he a lost cause? Should I just put him down?

Information appreciated.

Helping chicks out of the egg is never really a good idea. They don't hatch because there is some sort of problem. And most chicks that don't hatch on their own don't make it. So the chances that yours will live is iffy. Chicks like that were not meant to hatch. So if he looks like he is suffering, then you should do the right thing and put him down. It sounds like he is suffering, I am sorry.

Thanks for the input. I was afraid that was the case. I'll do the humane thing, I just want to save them all.
sad.png

Have a blessed day

circumstances dictate actions? sounds like everything else was right on for you except this lil guy.

excluding drafts from opening incubator and toughening membrane, which puts you in a spot for action...

I look at it like the little guys are pushing against the lid to pop out, by doing so, they are pumping their blood to the whole body, legs, back, wings, strengthening them, and also absorbing yolk, etc.

imho, kinda like a butterfly pumping its wings up after emerging from a cocoon?

if the lil guy didn't even pip or try to zip, his source code may have been missing some syntax from the beginning or later in development.

very sorry for you, always hard...but you did well on the rest, and this one is not your fault.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom