Sick New Chicken???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PoultryQueen29, Nov 12, 2011.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I just got a 2 month old silkie/polish mix yesterday. She is eating and drinking fine and her poop looks normal but she hardly ever walks around. She will lie down next to the food and water and eat and drink without getting up. She was outside when I bought her but I am fixing up my coop so I put the chickens in tubs temporarily. When I take her out of the tub and put her down on the floor she will lie down on the spot. She looks healthy. I was thinking she might be tired because she didnt get sleep with the amount of chickens in her old coop. I heard of a disease where the chicken will close its eyes and hang its head then pop up again. She does that occationally but she is actually falling asleep when she does that I think. Any ideas? Is she sick? Here is a pic of her.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  2. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] anyone? I'm really concerned about her.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Something definitely doesn't seem right there. How was she behaving when you picked her up- was she acting normal at her former home? How old is she- as in, could she be egg bound? Is it possible she was hurt during the ride to your house? Sorry, I'm not much help.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I had a hen die with the same type of symptoms, but I have no idea what was wrong with her.. She just acted sluggish.. She fell asleep and would bob her head back up.. I would take her back to be honest.. It's way too much to handle a new sick chicken.. Better do it before you get too attached [​IMG]

5. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    She was acting fine when I picked her up [​IMG] I already love her so much. She is only 2 months so she cannot be ready to lay yet. She doesnt seem hurt at all she looks healthy. I'm going to look at her now. I can fix the chicken coop later and see if more space and fresh air will be better for her. Thanks for the replies

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yay! She's fine now [​IMG] She didnt have enough space before I guess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by