1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick/Now dead chicken in SE BC Canada

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by 5danehouse, Nov 8, 2016.

1. 5danehouse

5danehouse Out Of The Brooder

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I have a young laying flock of 52 birds with 10 types of chickens, all hatched this spring. Yesterday, one of my Silver laced Wyandottes was crowing when I went to the pen. I thought it was a late blooming rooster at first. She crowed so much she lost her voice. Hmm, making up for lost time I thought. This morning it came out of the roost with a purplish comb and wattles and was having a lot of trouble breathing. I immediately separated her, by removing her to the house and crating her in the bathroom. (Easiest space to see her and keep her away from the dogs). She seemed to have a lot of trouble breathing, particularly when she lay down. After a family member showered she seemed to be breathing easier and her comb was pinker. I went into town for a couple hours and when I returned the bird was dead and stiff. So, the info I read this morning said wait a few days to see if it was a virus, then get antibiotics if she hadn't improved. I didn't even get 2 days with her before she was dead. What could this be and could it spread? If so, can anything be done to stop it? I could use some advice. We live in a very small town in a pretty empty part of the province so an avian vet is out of the question. Thanks so much in advance.
    5danehouse

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

Are you sure she was crowing, or could it have been her gasping/coughing/sneezing? This sounds alot like what happened to one of my chickens last month. She would stretch out her neck and sneeze this painfully loud cough-sounding sneeze that was so loud you could hear it from the second story window even when the coop was all closed up. She sneezed like that for about a month, and one morning I went out to check on them and she was in her kennel with her "sister", but she wasn't moving and she was freezing cold. She died at about 2:30 the next morning. The rest of the flock didn't start getting sick until after she died, but when the rooster started getting paralysis in his feet, we decided to cull all the sickies, just to be safe.
    Keep a close eye on the rest of the flock. If they start showing similar symptoms, then take some serious bio-security measures. Only wear one pair of shoes when you take care of them, and try not to go places in clothes you've worn out with them.
    I hope the rest of them don't get sick! [​IMG]

3. 5danehouse

Thanks very much for the reply. You were right, she was wheezing, not crowing. Thanks for your advice. She only showed signs for two days before she died, but she did have all the breathing problems you described. It was a nasty thing for her. I have started the bio security steps. Washed my clothing, single pair of shoes, no contact with other people's flocks and watching the girls closely. I'm praying it's a one off deal. We'll see soon enough. Thanks again for your help!

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

You're welcome.
    The girl I had get sick like this was the only chicken to get those symptoms. The worse it got after that was a runny nose and sluggish behavior, but no one else died after the first girl.
    Was she in good health? Mine was in pretty bad shape when we got her; still acting fine, but she had lice and feather issues. I really would like to know what happened with her. Let me know what goes on! [​IMG]

5. 5danehouse

Hi, so she was young and in good shape. I raised her and the rest of the flock from day olds this spring. We'll wait and see. The small animal vet in town suggested that she may have had a heart problem, ( yes, it can happen sometimes) she is willing to do a biopsy and send samples away if any of the other birds get sick. If that happens I will post. Thanks again. Enjoy your day, eh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by