sick of people selling sick chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LittleFarm43, Feb 18, 2014.

1. LittleFarm43

LittleFarm43 New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    I recently bought six roosters with the intentions of butchering them, they have been kept separate from my flock however I have discovered they have MG. I'm terrified that my other birds could catch this and I'll have to cull my whole flock. How can you sell birds to someone knowing that they are sick? Especially with something that could destroy their entire flock?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] There are dishonest people from the beginning of time. That's why there is the phrase "Let the buyer beware." I'm sorry I don't know anything about that disease but, if you put the name in the search box -information should pop up.

As more people notice your post, hopefully some will have expertise in this matter.

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the flock [​IMG]

Yes I agree with you and that was smart of you to keep them
    separated from your flock I have seen more then one post on
    BYC where someone had to cull their entire flock do to a new
    chicken being added to the flock with out being separated and
    watched for any signs of illness so you did it right ......

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

It is too bad that people can not be trusted anymore. Most people are good, but there is always a bad seed mixed in somewhere. So I am sorry about that.

But....if you have kept these birds far enough away from your flock, and practiced bio security, then you may be ok with your main flock. I hope your flock is still safe.

Enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Don't know why some people are so dishonest, money sometimes brings out the worst in people, guess we could hope they are ignorant of the problem rather than doing it on purpose.

1 person likes this.
  7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Some people are plain dishonest, some are just ignorant and may not even be aware they are selling sick birds unless it is so obvious that the bird is on deaths door. Others may sell birds that are carriers of some disease they have in their flock and the birds may not show any obvious symptoms until the stress of moving to a new location brings it on.

Buying and bringing in new adult birds is always a very high risk situation unless you are very familiar with your seller and their flock. We've been down that road and it's the reason why I don't bring in new adult birds anymore, ever. If I want it I raise it myself from a day old chick.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by