sick of trying to build a brooder/grow out pen - so i bought this:

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by angelobutter, Mar 1, 2013.

1. angelobutter

angelobutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    Cornish NH
    I bought this pen and is is working great so far- except the chicks seem to enjoy taking "dust baths" in the food so I am going to get a food dispenser that they can't fit into. They seem to be doing great but thought I would ask about the flooring. it is wire so the poop falls through ( and all of their food when they take a bath in it) but I was just wondering if I should put something in there as a solid ground until they are a bit older? they have no trouble walking on it now- I just didn't want to cause any foot troubles since they aren't that old yet. they were born 2-20

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. angelobutter

Jul 27, 2010
    Cornish NH
    oh and it is in my house if you couldn't tell- since it is still freezing outside.

3. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    What cute little babies! Is it okay for them to be on wire floor all the time when they are that young?

4. angelobutter

Jul 27, 2010
    Cornish NH
    ya that is what i asked in the first post lol

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I've heard of people raising chicks on wire but I've never done it myself so I don't know if there's a potential problem for sore feet or not. Personally I would just want them to have someplace to sleep other then the wire. Maybe a box with the front side cut low with shavings in it where they could sleep and also get off the wire when they want to?

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have had 7 of those coops. What you do is take the metal tray out from underneath. Place it inside the coop. The newer models of that chick-n-hutch make it difficult for the tray to fit inside, but with the older ones it was easy. So I have to loosen the front screws that hold the front screen panel on. Then fill the metal tray with shavings.

I also use plexiglass or plywood to cover the sides and front (leaving an air gap for ventilation) and stretch wire across the top on the inside next to the door to hold the plexiglass/plywood in place. This makes a handy place for me to hang my heat lamp too (with wire). Please note that I only use from one to three 100 watt bulbs and make sure that my lamps are not heating any surface too much or too close to wooden surfaces.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  7. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
    haha sorry, I was distracted by the cute babies. You could also use cardboard (with shavings or whatever), that way you could just toss it and not worry much about cleanup.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh and if you add shavings make sure your light isn't too close to the shavings and that it can't be knocked down by a flying or perching chicken - yes the wire is kind of hard on their feet. Some do raise them on wire but I much prefer to raise on sand or shavings.

Those shavings would get ALL over your home though LOL.

9. angelobutter

Jul 27, 2010
    Cornish NH
    great responses thanks- I will rig something up so they aren't on the wire. how old should they be before they can be on the wire- I am mostly thinking of ease of cleaning, but also it lets me know how temporary or permanent my floor fix will have to be. like if it is a few weeks i will use cardboard but if it is don't bother putting them on wire ever then i will do what "chickensaresweet" recommended with the floor.

10. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    If it were me I'd take a piece of plywood and put it in for the floor (not permanently, just set it on top) for now. Or you could just cover half the floor. When the chicks are older you can just take it out and it shouldn't be difficult to clean in the meanwhile. Cardboard, as you mentioned, would work on the short term. I don't like to keep chickens on 100% wire- I always like to have an area where they can get off the wire if they want.

Tammie

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by