sick old lady

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blue13bell, Oct 18, 2011.

1. blue13bell

blue13bell New Egg

Oct 18, 2011
    [​IMG] Please Help!, My Mimi is sick and lethargic; up until 4 days ago she used to put my young Jack Russel terrier in his place! She's an ex-battery hen, 8 yrs old. She seems to have a bit of a cough, and seems disorientated; just standing looking vacant. Not eating or drinking
    I've tried giving her a salt and sugar solution via a syringe and at the moment she's on a towel on the back of the sofa in front of a nice warm radiator. Can I give her a small amount of sol aspirin in case she's running a temperature? I'm a theatre nurse and I know it's poisionous to cats but I don't know about chooks. Please help! Aileen.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh, you don't want to give salt to a chicken, they can get sodium poison very easily.......I would recommend an antibiotic like Tylan if she's got a respiratory illness. She may not be getting enough oxygen which could explain the disoriented behavior.......

3. blue13bell

blue13bell New Egg

Oct 18, 2011
    Thanks, I didn't realise about sodium poisioning. I did ask however, can I give her aspirin? I'm also quite old but very young at heart and don't look my age. (so I'm told!) I was a midwife at a very young age (24) so unfortunately it put me off the process but I do love animals and I currently work for an agency working in operating theatres. I've just started a new career; botox and fillers and I'm calling myself "Small Tweaks"! Aileen

4. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

What does her poop look like? Do you see any blood? If so, she might just have some coccidia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by