Sick older hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missmimz, Nov 15, 2019.

1. missmimz

missmimz Chirping

Dec 5, 2014
    Arizona
    I've got a 5.5 year old white leghorn that for the last month has been having diarrhea, and lethargy. She's old and had an array of issues (bumble food, mites, prolapse vent), but they were all treated and cleared up. I wormed her, added probiotics, put her on a round of amoxicillin, then baytril, and both times she perked up, seemed to get better and was eating and rooting around with the other birds, but her diarrhea never cleared up, and a few days after she stops the antibiotics, she becomes dumpy again. No blood in her poops, just very abnormal, watery, sticking all over her vent. Right now she's eating and drinking, but sitting a lot and not very stable on her feet.

Are there any other antibiotics i can try? Put her back on baytril or amoxicillin? I don't have access to a poultry vet or any vet that will run a fecal for me. I assume she has some kind of internal infection, she was previously laying soft shelled eggs.

Diana_burns04 likes this.
  2. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Hi
    I m thinking about internal laying.
    IS her abdomen swollen?
    Have you checked her crop?
    :hugs

3. missmimz

missmimz Chirping

Dec 5, 2014
    Arizona
    Her abdomen is not swollen and when this started i did feel around for a stuck egg, couldn't feel anything either. She was still laying up until this started, about a month ago, but she was only laying a few times a week. I don't know how well her crop is emptying, they get let out automatically in the early AM so i haven't been able to check to see if it's emptying overnight.

Waves likes this.
  4. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Is she standing in penguin" position?

5. missmimz

missmimz Chirping

Dec 5, 2014
    Arizona
    No. i just soaked her in the bathtub because she had poo all over her back feathers and the flies were starting to get to her. She ate some dried black soldier fly larvae treats. Right now she's just puffed up and her tail is down.

Waves likes this.
  6. Diana_burns04

Diana_burns04 Songster

Nov 4, 2019

I had a leghorn,too and she had bumble, foot too.. It's nasty!!

7. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    missmimz likes this.
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Reproductive problems, such as salpingitis, internal laying, and egg yolk peritonitis are very common in hens over 2. Her being puffed up and tail down sound like that is what’s going on. Usually antibiotics don’t help, and since you have used both amoxicillin and Baytril, I would give any more. I would try to give her some probiotics or use a small amount of plain greek yogurt or buttermilk mixed into some chicken feed with water. That might help get her gut bacteria back to normal. Cottage cheese or some cooked rice can be added to firm up droppings, but don’t overdo any food, keeping most of her intake as chicken feed.

Wyorp Rock and Waves like this.
  9. missmimz

missmimz Chirping

Dec 5, 2014
    Arizona
    Ok. I've been giving her a bit of good quality plain kefir. I know I'm sort of just looking at a band-aid at this point. But it's always sad to see one of your girls go :(

10. Waves

Waves Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Yes, it's so sad! maybe she will recover, don't lose hope! :hugs:hugsHope helps chcikens, i think:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: