1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick older hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LynetteBme, Aug 25, 2013.

1. LynetteBme

LynetteBme Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Tuesday, August 20, where my 6 year old hen slept was a bright red bloody poo. I suspected coccidiosis. I bleached the poop board and and waterers and quarantined her until I could get off work. At home, there was no poop, bloody or otherwise, in the cage where she had been quarantined. She had eaten all the food I gave her and was upright and very strong. I began treating the entire flock with Sulmet. That night, the hen got into and slept in the nesting box instead of the roost. Wed, she got up and out with the flock, but didn't eat well. Just pecked around. Just stood around. The same Thursday. Slept again in the nesting box. Friday she was up and eating. I felt very encouraged. She still slept in the nesting box. Then yesterday, Saturday, she seemed to eat pretty well. No bloody poops. Last night, she got herself up to the roost with the other chickens. Seemed like we had turrned a corner. This morning, she woke up with a belly full of what feels like fluid. Doesn't look well. Any advice appreciated.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. LynetteBme

Aug 25, 2013
    Thanks for your reply. Everyone said coccidiosis. I have 8 pullets so I was scared not to treat. I've seen no other signs in any others. I'll stop the treatments.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm afraid Flockwatcher is probably right... do some searching on ascites, egg yolk peritonitis and internal laying. If it's cancer, you *might* be able to feel it by doing a cloacal exam, it will feel like little hard pimples on her insides. I've had two die from it this year and I could feel it in both of them.

-Kathy

5. LynetteBme

Aug 25, 2013
    If it's the egg problem, is there a fix

6. LynetteBme

Aug 25, 2013
    Sorry, just saw the above link. :)

7. LynetteBme

Aug 25, 2013
    Update on my old girl. Well I DC'd the Sulmet right away. She never did have another bloody stool after that very first one. As mentioned in my original post, her abd seemed full of fluid. She slept on the floor for three nights. Laying around a lot in the day time. Then she began pooping normally and eating a bit. She made her way up to perch on the edge of the nesting boxes, slept there a night or two. Then, the last two nights, she has made it up to the roost all by herself. She still doesn't look great, but her tummy has gone down, she is eating some. She's pecking at the young hens like the other grumpy old girls. Much closer to normal. Thanks for the advice. I guess it could still be cancer and this may be a temporary improvement. But for now...

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm glad to hear she's better!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by