Sick or Broody?

Gwenduckmama

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2020
Theo is sitting diligently on the eggs in the coop, and the ducks really hate being in the coop, so I’m trying to figure out if she’s sick, or broody. I brought her a bowl of chopped up sweet peas and water, which is her favorite treat, and she’ll only drink the water. Is there a list of things I can check to make sure she’s healthy? Her eyes look ok. She is a one year old Pekin that lays daily.
Thanks, and I’m sorry if this has already been asked.

If she was broody it would probably be pretty obvious. Ducks change the noises they make a bit when they go broody, and her nest would be lined with feathers, and she would be pretty dedicated to laying on it.

Nope. I think she’s sick...I can hear her breathing and she doesn’t look good. Damn.
Aside from giving her lots of fresh water, what do I do? I can see if the vet can see her tomorrow.

THIS is the one thing I hate about all birds. They really know how to hide when they are sick until it's wayyyy more difficult to help them.

I know a lot of people don't have a lot of time to spend with their animals, and yet others see them as just, food, and to each is own, but for those who do have the time to bond with their critters, please do so. That little bit of, oh hell, lets call it 'mothers instinct' can give you that itch in the back of your neck or that odd stare when she didn't come running quite as fast or cluck as enthusiastically, that something needs to be looked at. Even if you just look at them as food sources, one dying is going to cost you all that feed, attention you put in so far, the cost of a new bird, the food and time to raise it to laying age etc etc....

It's worth the extra minute or 5 a day you may have to spend with them to say hello and make sure they are ok, before you find them at room temp....

Please let us know how she's doing.

Aaron

If YOU didn't personally ask it, then it's not already been asked. Don't ever feel sorry for worrying about your pets and asking questions like this. Id rather have to answer the same thing 100 times over, than to hear, my dear XXX passed last night, any ideas why... type questions. I am fairly confident I speak for many others as well in this sentiment.

Aaron

Theo is sitting diligently on the eggs in the coop, and the ducks really hate being in the coop, so I’m trying to figure out if she’s sick, or broody. I brought her a bowl of chopped up sweet peas and water, which is her favorite treat, and she’ll only drink the water. Is there a list of things I can check to make sure she’s healthy? Her eyes look ok. She is a one year old Pekin that lays daily.
Did you ever figure out if she was sick or broody? My Xena is exhibiting the same behavior and I'm concerned! I lost my sweet Cookie very tragically a few weeks ago and am still waiting on necropsy report. So I'm extra overbearing and worrisome of my surviving four ducks!!

Back
Top Bottom