Sick or Healthy? Stray Mama and Chick....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KauAnnie, Jul 27, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Backround- My friend saved a chicken from a dog attack, she had 6 or 7 chicks and only one survived. The hen lost an eye, lots of feathers including on her head and tail and a few toes. The chick looks a little funky to me, so please help and tell me what you think. I have only been feeding them purina start and grow because that what my other chickens eat. They have access to fresh water that has ice in it during the day because its so dang hot. And they are blocked off from the other chickens because Mama doesnt like being bothered with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, this was the best I could do, Mama kept screaming at me and scared the kids.

2. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Also, can you tell what age she is?

update:Sorry I ment He. How old is the chick??

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    I have no idea how to tell the age of a hen, but she looks a little beat up from the dog attack. Could you get some better pics of her legs? Make sure they are smooth with no obvious bumps, check for mites under her wings, and make sure there are not foul odors or drainage from her eyes and nose. Keep her away from your other chickens for a while to make sure she doesn't come down with anything!
    BTW The chick is for sure a little ROO![​IMG]

4. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Quote:Ohhh I know hes a boy! I was like, "Woohoo! Gonna make cochin babies!!!". But now im hoping hes pure which I doubt. Ohh yeah sorry, I ment he as in the chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by