Sick or Healthy?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by neindiana, Nov 26, 2012.

1. neindiana

neindiana New Egg

Aug 27, 2011
    I had a 6 week old start getting "wobbly" last week. It kept getting worse to the point that it can no longer walk. He's isolated now, legs are sprawled out in front of him- wont hardly move. It's been 6 days. Should I feed him for the next week, or is he sick and need terminated?

2. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    The bird might have gotten into something the others have not. If the others are healthy, I think you can tell yourself you have done every thing you possibly could have done. Sometimes chickens develop incorrectly. The problems you are having now you might have going on and off for the rest of the chickens life. You need to decide if this is something you are willing to do. Do you want to take your time, energy, and care from the healthy birds to tend to the sick? Chicken keeping should not be stressful, it should be a joy. Chickens do get ill, but, weeks of tending to a sick bird is a lot to ask of yourself.

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    From what you wrote, I am assuming that it is a meat bird and you intend to butcher the batch next week. I would go ahead and butcher the lame one now and call it practice. When you gut it, check it over and make sure that it is not sick or anything before eating it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by