Sick or heart broken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KR2 Chicks, Sep 21, 2016.

1. KR2 Chicks

KR2 Chicks New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    Old Hickory TN
    I have a four mount old hen, her bff is a roo that she hatched with. They became buddies from the start and the other two roo's hooked up. I found homes for the other two (who needs three rooster) i keep the one hen and her and bff. I went and got three new pullets keep everyone apart for a mount and just introduced the three new ones to the big coop Friday. Everything went well i thought,
    My birds free range if im home. So Monday i got home by around 2:00 and she was up against her mirror sound asleep. Everyone came out but her. I went to check on her and got her out. She came down the hill went under my truck an went back to sleep. Now she is just staying in the coop all day, sleeping all the time. The rest are doing good and i see no problems. The roo did his job and chased the three new ones around a couple of days and is even roosting next to one. She stayed back while he was letting everyone know this was his yard. He has now started to chase her around also. Hope all this sounds normal don't want to lose my green legged hen. She is my favorite. Any opinion or suggestion would be helpful.
    Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    New chickens can bring in a different strain of coccidiosis (there are 9-12 strains in chickens.) She could be getting sick from cocci, or she could be just intimidated by the new hens. Hens raised together as chicks bond for life, and roosters can be fickle. Make sure that she is getting her share of food and water by placing some several spots, just to make sure she is not dehydrated. Corid (amprollium) can be given in all the water for 5 days if you think she could have cocci. You do not have to throw away eggs from any on Corid. Symptoms include standing puffed up with neck drawn into shoulder, sleepiness, and runny or bloody poop. Hopefully she is just the lowest in pecking order, and not sick. Here is some info about cocci and it's symptoms:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  3. KR2 Chicks

KR2 Chicks New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    Old Hickory TN
    My little red hen turned out fine. She is chasing the other hen around showing them who is boss.
    I did try cocci and GSE. Not sure if it was either on thet helped or not. Thinking now she got picked in the eye. She started asking sick after i put threen new hens in the coop. She would not open her left eye spent two days in the coop. I would giver her water then. It took about a week and she sterted acting normal again

Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's good to hear that she has improved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by