Sick or injured chick! Can't stand. Seizure!? Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rowfarm3, Feb 1, 2016.

1. rowfarm3

rowfarm3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2016
    Anyone who can help, please! I have a 4wk old chick who out of the blue seems ill or maybe injured? She's sitting alone, puffed up, just sleeping. When I went in the brooder to check in hey, the other chicks ran over top of her,and she didn't get up. She can't stand, and when I picked her up, she flopped over and arched her head all the way back to her back. She's just laying there. I've tried giving her some sugar water. She's had a poop that is pinkish brown. Please tell me what to do! These are my first chicks ever.

2. rowfarm3

Jan 31, 2016
    I'm wondering if maybe this is coccidiosis. If so, do I treat with?

[​IMG]

3. rowfarm3

Jan 31, 2016
    Here she is

[​IMG]

4. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I don't mean to sound cold, but if I do, forgive me.

I've lost so many dogs and cats in my life do to cars, thieves, and predators, that I have reached a point where I still enjoy the heck out of them, but never get so attached that my heart would break if something should happen to any of them. Animals come and go. They're just temporary to me.

I've yet to hatch chickens, but if I had a defective chicken, I'd cull it and just move on.

5. rowfarm3

Jan 31, 2016
    UPDATE: she's unable to sit upright anymore. It's almost like she's paralyzed on one side. She keeps falling over onto her right side. Even if I try to hold her upright, her whole body leans to the right.

6. Kacey's Krazee's

Kacey's Krazee's Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Normangee, Texas
    I'm sorry your're having problems with your chick. I would like to ask if you are feeding them medicated chick starter? If so, I would suggest that you give her liquid baby vitamins, without any iron. The medicated started robs the chicks of important b vitamins. I would put a drop in her beak, every 4-6 hours and see if that helps. I think the vitamins are called polyvisol or something like that. Probably spelling is incorrect.

Kacey

7. rowfarm3

Jan 31, 2016

I'm not feeding them medicated feed. We're trying to do things naturally,and didn't want to medicate them unless they needed it. The food does contain probiotics. It's naturewise chick starter/grower.

8. Tasha71

Tasha71 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    Kent, UK
    I haven't had a 4wk old chick problem, but if I did, I would give some fine scrambled egg for protein mixed with some appropriate measured vitamins, powdered form, mixed in with feed, with grit and warm water, also a small measure of ACV in the waterer. Dont forget that a poop like that could be cecal, its natural. And ofc hugs and attention can go a long way :). Hope your little one gets better

9. Mistyje

Mistyje New Egg

Mar 6, 2016
    Hi. how is your chick doing? Did you ever figure out what happened?? I have a 3 week old chick that just now started doing the exact same thing... She's falling over, trying to bury herself, others are pecking at her. I don't know what to do!! It's bedtime but I don't want to go to sleep & wake up to only 3 babes instead of 4.. [​IMG]. They've only been eating the flaky stuff that the feed store sold us & an occasional worm here & there. Any advice??

10. nightowl223

nightowl223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    United States
    If your chick's poo is normal, you can rule out coccidosis. But if it's bloody, you need to treat everyone immediately, because cocci will spread like wildfire through a brooder. If her poo is normal, about all you can do is arrange an area inside the brooder where she can be kept away from anyone else pecking at her or stepping on her. Then try to get some pedialite and honey water in her, to help get nutrients in her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by