sick or injured chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by didak, Dec 25, 2011.

1. didak

didak Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    Merry xmas everyone. I live in Queensland, Australia and its Boxing day here.
    I have a chicken that Im not sure is sick or has injured herself or been picked on by one of my ducks. Three days ago I went into their pen in the morning and found her on her side near the wire. At first I thought she had been caught up but that didnt appear to be the case. She didnt look too well during the day but she was eating well. Next morning she was the same, and same this morning. She is sort of laying on her side with her wings out, her tail is down and so is her crop. I will be devastated if I lose her, so would like some advice from anyone. The other thing I have noticed is that she appears to be wasting away. She used to be quite plump around her breast but now feels really bony.

Thanks
    Happy new year:([​IMG]

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    can you bring her in the house in a dog crate and observe her eating and pooping? have you wormed her? what is her crop like? give some specifics, someone should be able to get an idea of what is going on

3. didak

didak Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    Hi, went out yesterday to stay overnight with friends and really expected her to be dead this morning but she seems to be a bit brighter, she has been wormed, treated for mites recently and treated for coccidiosis in case they all had it. They are all very spoilt and get fed very well.
    Her crop is down and has been for weeks now even though she appears to be healthy. She seems to be very stiff when she walks so I still am not sure if she has just hurt herself. Finding her alive this morning has given me some hope so I will monitor her and keep in touch.

thanks for your advice.

Regards

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by