Sick or injured rooster????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mshaed, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Mshaed

Mshaed New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    I have a rooster about 6 months old. He is a beautiful brown leghorn. When he was younger he was very quick and otherwise was very healthy! A month or two ago I noticed he had gotten a hop in his step.. I (finally) managed to catch him. Examined him. And found nothing noticeable wrong. He went about and it seems to have gotten worse. I guess it's more of a limp. And I noticed his legs would shake This morning when I went to the coop and he was on a perch and wen he jumped down it was like his legs didn't catch him at all. He struggled to get on his feet but kept collapsing. He finally managed to get up and run out the pen. After catching him I examined him again and found nothing wrong. I stretched his legs out and was feeling around and it doesn't seem like anything is hurting him..... Any ideas what might be wrong with him? As far as I know he is healthy. He looks beautiful he eats he drinks and he interacts with the other hens perfectly fine.

2. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    First thing that comes to mind is mereks disease

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. Mshaed

Mshaed New Egg

Nov 8, 2014
    so I've seperated him in a smaller pen with no roosts and unless other symptoms come up I guess I'll treat him for a leg injury? It won't hurt my flock will it? If the disease is there it's there right. So having him in a connected smaller pen won't put my flock in any more danger?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by