Sick or old hen?

sekeyslaks

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 25, 2014
Hello BYC!

This morning I put out my hens to free-range as usual,and I noticed one of my favorite EE hens Pecan limping and unable to walk,only a kind of stumble.She wasn't like this a few days ago!Apart from the limp she seems okay,bright red comb and alert!I did notice some watery poop though.she stands slightly upright,but unable to stand normally.Right now I have her separated from the others because they were pecking her a lot. I gave her some food and water(eating more than she drinks) near her so she wouldn't have to move. My hen is 4-5 years old and very sweet,I've never met such a lovable hen and she is a excellent layer.She normally forages with great gusto so to me this is very odd behavior for her. I should also mention that lately we have been getting tons of rain for weeks,and it's beginning to warm up too.in other words perfect breeding ground for bacteria. I hope you all can help me and respond soon!:)

It's possible that she has injured her leg. Is she laying presently? Have you added any new chickens to the flock in the last 6 months who could have been carriers of Mareks disease? Internal layers can walk upright and have trouble walking. With a leg injury, I would recommend confining her to a pen with food and water, and placing poultry vitamins or B Complex into her water or feed.

Last edited:
It's possible that she has injured her leg. Is she laying presently? Have you added any new chickens to the flock in the last 6 months who could have been carriers of Mareks disease? Internal layers can walk upright and have trouble walking. With a leg injury, I would recommend confining her to a pen with food and water, and placing poultry vitamins or B Complex into her water or feed.

It's definitely possible!Unfortunately none of my hens are laying well.It's been cold here and we just got snow.No new chickens lately!I hope your right that it is simply an injury,I went to check on her this morning and it seems she is moving a little better since she is still able to get on the roosts.

Back
Top Bottom