Sick or sad hen losing weight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by demp4, Nov 20, 2010.

1. demp4

demp4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Central NY
    I have a 1 1/2 yr old hen not sure what breed (she is white and lays cream eggs when she lays) She is acting different. Slow moving doesn't come running when I bring treats anymore. Her comb which normally is upright is now hung over and pale. She sits around puffed up and feels bony to me. I can feel her breast bone very prominent. She is having liquidy poops, no mites that I can see. I separated her today from the other hens and brought her inside. We recently butchered our roosters (having issues of stressing the hens) one of the roosters she was with since birth.

I feed them DE regularly in their food and ACV in their water. I also fed her pumpkin seeds today. I have been giving them oats with nettles and alfalfa recently as well.

Any ideas what else I could do?? Or what could be wrong it all seemed to start shortly after the roosters were gone. Could she just be really sad?

2. demp4

Jul 31, 2009
    Central NY
    anyone have any suggestions?

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hello demp4. Maybe if you provide more information someone will reply with some advice for you. If you answer the questions in this link hopefully someone will be able to figure out what is wrong with your hen and what you can do to help her. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Bringing her in is a good start - it will allow you to see exactly how much she is eating.

Has she started her molt or is she finishing up? Molting often makes them a bit slower and sleep a bit more - their body is working hard to produce all those lovely feathers.

Do they free range?

5. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    How long has it been since she last laid an egg? She might be symptomatic of being egg-bound.

Right now, many chickens are molting and not laying so it may not be the issue. But check her stomach and by the vent for a large hard object. It might be an egg.

Mary

6. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Has she been wormed lately?
    I wonder if she is sad..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  7. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    I agree with both fiberart57 and turtlebird- probably eggbound or worms.
    Check for worms by isolating and checking her poop. Being this sick she should be expelling them, very gross. I have used Wazine for roundworms in the intestine and then Ivermectin pour-on for all worms.
    If eggbound then I encourge them to walk, esp if they are still straining and standing like a penguin. If she has become an internal layer then her abdomin will be vey distended and there is little you can do. They enjoy hot baths which has never worked for me but others swear by it. They will fight at first but then they relax and will fall asleep. I hold them and message their abdomin, it is suspose to help them pass the eggs.

8. demp4

Jul 31, 2009
    Central NY
    There was no worms in her poop, I hand fed her for 2 days and brought her water up to her roost in her solitary cage inside. After the 2 days she refused to eat and drink or leave the roosting rod. I checked her vent and massaged her crop (thought it might be sour crop). SHe hadn't laid an egg since September thought she was molting but didn't see any signs of feathers laying around that were hers... She was pretty much skin and bones so we decided to cull her instead of letting her suffer anymore...

Thanks though!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by