Sick Or Weak Duckling?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KatTargaryen, Jun 26, 2019.

1. KatTargaryen

KatTargaryen In the Brooder

May 31, 2019
    Hello, I’ve just received 3 ducklings this morning. I noticed my welsh harlequin duckling, Penny, is keeping her head close to her body, more so than the others. And is not very active. She also doesn’t walk or run around as much as the other two. She just seems kind of lethargic and her eyes are small like she’s squinting. She’s also shaking a little bit like she’s cold. I have put brewers yeast in their food and she ate some along with the others, and also drank a little water. I want to give her some sav-a-chick but I can’t find the correct dosage. I only want to give them about a cup of water not a gallon. I’m just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I could to help perk her up a bit? Thanks.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Did they come in the mail? If not how old are they. Can you post some pics of Penny? Do you have any Nutri drench you can dribble some along her bill it’s really good for shipped or just hatched ducklings. What Is the dose of save a chick for a gallon maybe just break it down an do a quart or break it down even further and do a pint. Do you have then under heat lamp or heat plate?

CindyinSD and KatTargaryen like this.
  3. KatTargaryen

May 31, 2019
    Hi, Thank you so much for responding!
    I got them from Metzer farms. They are only about 2 days old. It’s about 0.25 ounces of powder per gallon or one packet per gallon. I guess I’ll break it down to a pint. I have a heat plate for them and shes been under it for about an hour now. I do have Nutri Drench, so do I just dribble it on her bill by itself or with water? I’ll post pics as soon as I can.

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. KatTargaryen

May 31, 2019
    CF7AA9D6-6289-469A-B144-E6A61EB8A519.jpeg DCD09FA7-8415-4D11-8B9C-E8DA9010419A.jpeg

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Nutri drench can be given straight and in their water. Just dribble a tiny bit at a time she’ll get some of it. If it help you can wrap her in a soft towel so the Nutri drench does drip all over you and her.

6. Miss Lydia

She’s had a rough trip. Hopefully by tomorrow she’ll be perked up.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  7. KatTargaryen

May 31, 2019
    Ok thank you! I’ll post an update tomorrow or later tonight! I’ve given her some Nutri Drench.

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Look forward to it. What’s great about Nutri drench it goes straight into the blood stream instead of having to go through the gut first which means it works faster than other things.

9. KatTargaryen

May 31, 2019
    Hi! She’s doing much better now. She’s a little more active and I’ve put Sav-A-Chick in her water. I did notice earlier today she has pasty butt; so I dipped her in a little warm water for a bit and then dried her off. It seems the warm water hasn’t resolved the issue as I’ve done it twice now. I’m wondering what else I can do to help her poop? Besides that, she’s a perfectly healthy duckling! Thanks.

casportpony likes this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of her pasty butt?

KatTargaryen likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: