Sick Ostrich?

Sallyrose

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 21, 2013
I visited an exotic drive thru farm today and there is an Ostrich that looks terrible. He is very large and has huge amounts of feathers missing and the skin is very thick and scaly. I keep thinking about him and wondering if I should drive back there and let the owners know. The owners are well known for neglecting the animals, such as keeping nails trimmed, etc. and I am worried that this Ostrich is sick and could spread whatever it is to the others.

Hi Sallyrose,

We have ostriches at home. And some of them are missing lots of feathers because they keep pulling them off. Some ostrich do that when they are nervous or simply as a bad habit. Once they start, they are hard to stop. There is not much one can do to stop it, except try to spray a solution that taste bad so they will stop. But that is a major challenge with ostriches, especially with males whom are more agressive then females. You can always discuss with the owners next time you see them and ask them if they are aware and if they have tried anything to solve the issue.

//signed//

Sally

Hi, No you do not clip the toe nails. The bird sounds like he may have something impacted in him. you can put so mineral oil down him and that will help him to pass it.

Back
Top Bottom