1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick over my loss...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TexasVet, May 3, 2009.

1. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I lost 11 babies to a possum last night. It just made me sick when I found them this morning. And the rotten bast*#d didn't even eat most of them.

The pen wasn't a fortress, but I thought it would protect them for a few days. Dog kennel sides, 4' tall netting on the inside walls, top covered.

I've been waiting on the electrician to run electricity to the coop, so I can hotwire it, but it's been too wet for him to run the trenching machine.

I'm going to go run an extension cord this morning; it may not be as safe, but I can't afford to lose any more babies.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

2. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Was the possum still there? Or could it have been something else? Sorry for your loss!

3. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

That's too bad. How did it get in?

4. TexasVet

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    It wasn't still there, but I know from experience (sadly) that possums like the soft insides. And, I trapped and killed a male possum a few days ago. This is probably his mate.

Just got all the stakes and standoffs in the ground so I can run the hotwire, but then it started raining, so I had to stop working. I just can't seem to catch a break.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

5. TexasVet

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Quote:There's about a 6-inch hole in the corner where two kennels hook together. My "baby" run is attached to the bigger run, so everyone can adjust to each other before trying to integrate the new birds.

Can't see anyplace else where it could have gotten in, and there's no digging around the bottom of the run.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

6. lone cedar farm

lone cedar farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    Menlo, Ga.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    You didn't have your chicks locked up in a preditor proof coop?

8. SoJoChickens

SoJoChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Fountain Green, UT
    Sorry for your loss. Make sure you catch the predator and end their reign of terror [​IMG].

9. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:Agreed!

This is so terrifying and sad sorry for your loss and I hope you can catch the predator and get your coop safe asap! [​IMG]

10. TexasVet

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

You didn't have your chicks locked up in a preditor proof coop?

Other than a steel safe, I don't think there is a "predator proof" coop. There was a gap that was about 8 inches long and less than 4 inches wide that I think it got through. It was able to worm it's way through by pushing on the chain link fabric enough to widen the hole. This has now been fixed.

The story goes like this....
    We fixed the well, then moved the coop and run closer to it, because I hate dragging hoses and because the well water doesn't have chlorine in it. The electrician was scheduled to run permanent wiring to both the well and the hen house, but before he arrived we had 9 inches of rain. So we've been waiting 10 days for the ground to dry out enough to do the work. While waiting, I reinforced all the fencing around the "baby" coop and covered the top. I just missed that one corner where the squared corner of the baby pen meets the rounded corner of the larger one.

The hotwire is up and ready to go, but I need power. In hindsight, I wish I'd spent the extra $75 and bought the solar charger.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by