Sick peababy

mbell2bc

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2015
Georgia
Hello! I need advice on one of my peababys. She was born in July and is kept in captivity with her sister (also born in July) and her mom and dad. She seems to be very sick (hanging her head and lethargic). Her poop is also a yellow/green color. Any suggestions on what I can do for her?

Hello! I need advice on one of my peababys. She was born in July and is kept in captivity with her sister (also born in July) and her mom and dad. She seems to be very sick (hanging her head and lethargic). Her poop is also a yellow/green color. Any suggestions on what I can do for her?
Sounds like Blackhead. You need to worm all of your birds as soon as you can. You can worm peafowl with Safeguard 10% fendbendazole. The measurement is 1 cc per 4 lbs. An adult peacock weighs around 12 lbs, so he receives 3 cc. An adult hen weighs around 10 lbs, so she receives about 2.5 cc. Safeguard has a low toxicity so don't worry about overdosing. Safeguard needs to be given directly orally or on a treat they will devour quickly. Do NOT put it in the water, you will only shoot yourself in the foot. You will need to worm for 5 days in a row, take a 10 day break, and then after the break worm for another 5 days. Do not skip the 10 day break, it's one of the most important steps. You also need to reduce the stress level as much as possible. Casportpony knows specific medicines and their dosages better than I do. With the information I know you will also need some sort of anti-protozoa medication. Blackhead is caused by a protozoa that is carried by certain parasites. So we need to remove the parasites and protozoa, and then work on rebuilding tissue. Unfortunately a lot of times when peafowl begin to show symptoms it's too late. There's still hope but the odds are against you.

Have you separated your sick baby out or put them all where you can control the conditions? Try mixing 3 drops of oregano (essential food grade) oil with a teaspoon of olive oil and give it orally. Keep the baby warm and comfortable. When not medicating, mix 2 teaspoons ACV with mother/quart of water to everybody. It won't hurt them and it helps keep their gut healthy.

If she does have blackhead you need to treat with metronidazole as soon as possible. You can get from your vet.

Back
Top Bottom