Sick Peachick and His Treatment. - Pictures

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by casportpony, Jan 2, 2015.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thought I should start a new thread so you all can see how different treatment methods can work.

Flock history of Blackhead, E.coli and possible Necrotic Enteritis, but no coccidia in peafowl, just coccidia in chickens and guineas. Not saying I don't have peafowl coccidia here, just that I haven't had it show up on any fecal or necropsies. [​IMG]

Found four month old peachick looking depressed, fluffed, not eating, shivering, head tucked in, Runny blood tinged poop with a strange sweet smell. He's a little thin, but not dangerously so. Current weight is 2000 grams. This chick was brooder raised and was placed on the dirt about two months ago. Have had lots of rain and there are plenty of earth worms here.

Here is a picture of his poop that he did when I weighed him:
    [​IMG]

I do have a plan, but all comments and suggestions are welcome!

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Have you ever tried putting soil in your brooders as your peas are growing up? For some reason I have a lot of problems here with coccidia. (moved recently). Beekissed suggested the shovel full of dirt once a week, and it has really helped. I just wonder if some good ol' fashioned dirt might help some with your young birds.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    If you didn't run preventative doses of Amprolium in drinkers before he went out on dirt, and every 3 weeks thereafter, the amount of cocci protozoa in moist conditions may have overwhelmed the bird. I don't care how gradual dirt is introduced to young birds, numbers are what they are according to climatic and environmental conditions. I don't raise peafowl, but have tried various approaches to cocci immunity for my environment, and my methods prevent mortality and stunted growth. I generally worm at around 5-6 months of age due to my experiences in the past, and as you know, young birds are more susceptible to worms/coccidiosis than mature birds.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good point... He did have medicated water before going out, but not after. Maybe I'll try that this season.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by