SICK PEACOCK NEAD HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by FRANCO2, Jan 23, 2013.

1. FRANCO2

FRANCO2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    MEXICO guadalajara.
    I HAVE A SICK PEACOCK, HE IS 9 MONTHS OLD. HE HAS MORE THAN A WEEK GASPING FOR AIR. HE RAISES HIS HEAD UP HIGH AND OPENS HIS BEAK WIDE OPEN AND THEN MAKES LIKE A SNEEZE SOUND. WHAT COULD IT BE???

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    He's been doing this for a week???????????? What does his poop look like? Have you de-wormed him lately?

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    This sounds like Gape worm, it is treated by giving 1cc ivermec down the throat to kill the worm.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Looks like he is a newbie, so you may have to tell him how often and how many days, in case he may not know.

5. FRANCO2

Dec 3, 2012
    MEXICO guadalajara.
    i had gave him 1/2cc ivermec and 1/2cc down the throat. should i give him the same treatment again?

6. FRANCO2

Dec 3, 2012
    MEXICO guadalajara.
    """"1/2cc ivermec 1/2cc water""""

7. 6littlechickies

6littlechickies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Burton, OH
    I would wait and see now, it is a 9 month bird so it should be smaller than a full size pea and the dose will be adequate. Ivermectin will need no immediate treatment follow up. Have you looked down the throat for obstruction? It may not be all about worming. It could have something stuck in the throat also, string, stick, anything.
    1. Assess the bird. Is it light in weight compared to others or when previously held?
    2. Is it drinking and eating?
    3. Isolate and keep the bird comfortable and warm
    4. You have wormed the bird so this is covered. In two weeks you can give a follow up.
    5. Does it look like its feathers are fluffed out and ruffled?
    6. Look for sinus discharge, if it is not a parasite or obstruction there could be an infection requiring antibiotics. Tylan 200 is a good one for oral dosing if needed.

Be systematic and good luck

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How much does he weigh? At nine months old, I think he should weigh a minimum of 3.2kg.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You're in Mexico, right? I think Baytril (antibiotic) is very easy to get there.

10. FRANCO2

Dec 3, 2012
    MEXICO guadalajara.
    THANK YOU ALL. YES I'M IN MEXICO. HE IS EATING AND DRINKING NORMALLY,HIS WEIGHT IS ABOUT 3 KG. I GAVE HIM IVERMECTIN LIKE 5 DAYS AGO AND I DON'T SEE ALOT OF IMPROVEMENT BUT AT LEAST HE'S NOT GASPING FOR AIR AS MUCH AS LAST WEEK [​IMG] I LOOKED DOWN THE THROAT FOR OBSTRUCTION AND I DIDN'T SEE NOTHING ABNORMAL. SHOULD I WAIT FOR A FEW DAYS TO GIVE HIM ""BAYTRIL antibiotic''''''' OR SHOULD I DO IT TODAY?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by