Sick Peacock- Need Advice

ninejw

Songster
11 Years
Jul 11, 2008
ct ri border
Hi all

I have a sick 3 month old India blue peafowl. I noticed that 4 days ago he was hiding in his box and would only come out to cry to his siblings. He has ruffled feathers and keeps his neck down and is underweight. I took him home and put him on a Doxycycline Hydrochloride/psittavet. He's been on that 2 days and there has not been an improvement. He has had diarrhea since I brought him home and now is more frequent. He seems not to be eating too much/no food in all the poop. Urates are now yellow & lots of urine. I prepared some emergency regiment of vitamins & electrolytes in wet food. He liked this but it seemed like he has difficulty getting it down between eating stretches his neck and opens his mouth after a few bites etc. Didn't feel any crop impaction etc. Now I'm wondering worms or blackhead? I've also had coccidia in my chickens but they haven't been mixed together or been on the same ground even. I have meds for most stuff on hand but don't know where to go with it. Can anyone recommend a food to tempt him with to get his eating up? Any medication recommendations? I'm afraid if I don't figure this out he won't last that much longer. I am new to peafowl but have had caged birds for years. Thanks in advance for help!

Jen

I personally would get some Corid from TSC or Sulmet. I like Corid because I can give a few drops in their mouth. Droopy, loss of weight and unthriftyness are often signs of coccidia. If he is that weak, before I'd start him on meds I would get some parrot hand feeding formula and start hand feeding him by squirting it in his mouth. Put scrambled eggs in his mouth too and see if he swallows. You can give him an injection of 1/2 water and 1/2 vitamin mix in a 3mil syringe, just under any loose skin in his back. This will help hydrate him if he refuses to drink. If you know how to tube feed I'd do that too. If you don't see worms in his poo, I think it would be this. Best wishes

Unfortunately he passed on early this morning. I did have him on a coccistat drug. I think it was just too late and he was pretty weak by the time I even got him home. He couldn't get a handle on the diarrhea. He was eating fine with me here and I was doing a emergency aid mix for severely sick birds, probiotics etc. he was eating pretty well at the end but it was too little too late...poor baby
sad.png
I plan on deworming and treating the rest of my peachicks and amhersts that I got from that breeder. Thanks for the help.

So sorry. Even the best of us lose some. Safeguard is what you would want to worm them with. I use the liquid goat wormer, and you can even mix some in with water. The UPA has some good info on worming peafowl. When they get older you can use Ivomec and then rotate with the Safeguard.

Quote:
What ratio of wormer to water do you use? Could I use that with my chickens too? Although I want to look into the rooster booster 3-1 wormer. It takes care of round worms, cecal worms and capillary worms.

I too have a sick peacock, when I got him about 3 weeks ago he has a swellen eye. He seemed to be eating then the other day, he started stumbing. Now he is off food, I started him on 1 cc of tylan 50, should I give him more? I started his shots 2 days ago, and it says I should only use if for 3 days. I force feed him some dog food soaked in electorolytes twice tonight. After the first time he seemed to fight me a little better. I have him under a lamp in the pen, in a building now. He would not go in it before, now my peahen goes in there like she is checking on him.
Tomorrow if he is still with me, I think I will try 1 1/2 to 2 cc of the tylan 50. Other then that I am not sure what else to do. Any help will be greatfull, I reallly love him and I don't want to loose him, he is about 5 years old.
funniefarm

Just went to sit with him and he is not doing good at all, kicking. I really need help...... My heart is pounding, and I don't know what to do for him. Was I wrong to forse feed him food? or did I get to him too late with the meds.

Sometimes there is just no stopping whatever has them in its grasp. The swollen eye could be an indicator of sinus infection that could have spread. It could just as easily be any number of other issues. I doubt you hurt him by force feeding assuming you got it in him, but I would not force feed a normally dry food like dog food. I would use a soft food like scrambled egg or other commerically available feeds made for that purpose. The softer and smaller the food, the more quickly it can make it in their system. Generally, a liquid reinforced with electrolytes would be enough.

You Tylan dose is probably too small. I use 2cc of Tylan 200 which would be 8cc of Tylan 50. For sinus infections I inject part of dose into sinus and part into neck under skin. For really bad cases, I have even increased the dosage with no apparent harm.

Back
Top Bottom