1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Pekin duckling? Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chelseap92, Feb 1, 2015.

1. chelseap92

chelseap92 New Egg

Feb 1, 2015
    Hi all, I am a new duckling parent and my two ducklings have become basically like my children. They are three weeks old today. They have been growing steadily, eating plenty, drinking frequently, swimming supervised. I've been really giving them my all. So last night my big guy flop was throwing up. I had introduced them to diapers three days ago and they were very unhappy but dealt. They obviously grew and I had put them in the next size diaper last night and about 15 minutes later flop was throwing up. It was terrifying and so sad. I took the diaper immediately off and just let him sit on my lap. He was calm, breathing okay. I let him drink some water, he got it down but a few minutes later threw it back up. On a positive note I hate throw up because of the noise but ducks like just drool throw up, am I right in saying that ? So I turned to you guys on byc and found out that it could be because his diaper was too tight around his crown (?) them I was in panic all night and I remember I changed there food yesterday. They were on a starter crumble and I had talked to a gentleman at TSC and was informed they could start having a starter/grower. It's only slightly bigger but could that be the issue? I'm terrified of my little bud being sick. Now today I have done nothing but watch them and his ( I just call him a him I have no clue yet) poop is a little watery. It's seemed a little greyish at first but the lighting was poor. It's really making me nervous. I want him to be okay. Do any of you have any experience with something similar or any advice?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When you say throwing up do you mean water is coming out of the mouth or food and water mixed? I have seen mine dribble water out of their mouths especially if I pick them up right after they have drank alot of water. and watery poop is normal most of the time since they drink so much water. Some times changing feed can cause tummy upset i usually mix when going from one feed to another to try an avoid that. How are they tonight? Appetite good running around acting like normal ducklings?

and Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Welcome to BYC.

Do they have water with food 24/7? If they run out, they could overeat and vomit. Sometimes picking them up will make them hurl, too, especially if they are a little over-full.

When I switched from crumbles to starter pellets I added pellets to crumbles in increasing proportion over the course of a week. Don't know if that would help you.

Have you seen this sticky?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

4. chelseap92

chelseap92 New Egg

Feb 1, 2015
    We're doing much better tonight. They always have clean water and food. I crushed up the new food a little more just to make it seem like I was weening them but truth is I had run out of the starter feed yesterday afternoon. I'm terrible I know. And it was just water that dribbled out when he threw up last night.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd say everything is fine as long as they are acting normal and eating with out any problems, dribbling water is normal I've even picked mine up before and had them dribble feed along with water mixed in out of their mouths. That can get messy lol

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't think you're terrible. So, things are fine now? Great [​IMG]

Maybe you could give us an update tomorrow, too. Any time you are not certain, or just want to check, please let us know.

7. chelseap92

chelseap92 New Egg

Feb 1, 2015
    We're all doing fine still, starting to get our quacks ! Ugh they grow up so fast :( they're getting there white fluffy feathers too [​IMG]
    That's flop, my little bub

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by