1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Pekin-greenish diarrhea and lethargic

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quackie, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Quackie

Quackie New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    Please help! I have a six month old Pekin drake who has been sick for almost 24 hours. When we found him, he was standing over his water bowl with his penis extended. It did not retract for about 4 hours. It has now retracted, but he is lethargic and has greenish diarrhea. He's not eating a lot but is drinking water. He will get up and walk around for a little bit then sits down. Any suggestions?

2. mogrl840

mogrl840 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Yuma AZ
    do you have any other ducks he could be trying to mate with? He could be just worn out if thats the case. Give him lost of fresh water and food. 24hrs is not too bad. My ducks usually bounce back the next day after being watched closely

3. Quackie

Quackie New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    He lives in an outside pen with his brother and two sisters. He tries to mate a lot. We wondered if he just didn't injure himself. However, he just isn't acting himself. We also wonder if he ate something bad.

Any suggestions for remedying the diarrhea?

4. mogrl840

Mar 8, 2011
    Yuma AZ
    my ducks poo green a lot so color doesn't really mean anything and sometimes when my ducks are stressed out from being chased or just anything they will get diarrhea but they get better after a day or two. My ducks dont act the same either when they mate. How often does he try to mate? He might be over matting which can cause him to injure himself down there. If its back in i wouldn't really worry too much. Just give him a few days at most. If you can catch him. Flip him over and make sure everything looks ok down there. Im sure its from over matting and its swollen and sore. Yo might need to put him by himself for a few days too

5. mogrl840

Mar 8, 2011
    Yuma AZ
    I had a duck injure itself almost every time it matted. It would fall out of the pool and hurt its leg. Silly duck. Took him up to a week to stop limping.

6. Quackie

Quackie New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    His penis has not come out today like last night. He is pretty much just standing there, won't hardly eat but will drink. He won't quack, just opens his mouth. Around his vent, it's like he is pulsating it.

He will try to mate at least once a day.

7. mogrl840

Mar 8, 2011
    Yuma AZ
    well for being 6 months he sounds pretty active. Im sure he just wore himself out matting and now hes sore. Keep an eye on him and try to not let him mate anymore for a few days.

8. Quackie

Quackie New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    We have him quarantined in our guest bathroom in the bathtub, lined with a towel. He has food and water there.

He's still passing greenish diarrhea that's smelly. Could he have something wrong with his digestive tract?

9. mogrl840

Mar 8, 2011
    Yuma AZ
    when they are stressed they will poop really smelly stuff. What are you feeding him

10. Quackie

Quackie New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    He has been on Purina Layena non-medicated laying mash since he was born. We also give him frozen peas everyday (he loves them!). Other than that, he is allowed to roam around the yard part of the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by