Sick Pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by airkat86, Apr 23, 2017.

1. airkat86

airkat86 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2014
    [​IMG]
    A few years ago I had a Khaki Campbell act like she was having some kind of seizure fit. We separated her and kept her in a safe location and within a couple days she was fine ago. Then it happen to a pekin that same summer. I was told from several people that it was probably egg bound and that was the only suggestions offered. After researching it and talking to several people we figured it sounded likely. Both ducks recovered no problem within a couple days. The next Spring it happened again with the same khaki and a different pekin. Everyone I consulted and spoke to said egg bound again. Within a couple days they would snap back lay an egg all normal again. The next year it was a pekin again.
    They are unable to walk kinda like flop with their wings out when trying to walk. Can't seem to lift their heads or neck. And their wings twitch badly.
    We didn't have a problem last year. Then last night when I went to close up the duck house my Pekin Drake Adam who is 4 years old was laying in the middle of the mud with his girls quacking around him unable to move. I got him separated from the regular flock so he wouldn't hurt himself. This morning he came running out as if all was normal. Talking to his ladies over the fence. So went to get their food and when I came back he was just like last night laying on the ground again. I uploaded the video to YouTube I took of him. I don't know where the videos of the others are but it looks exactly the same.
    He's a Drake so can't be egg bound. We have several other ducks who all interact but it's only one or two and it's always Spring/Summer time when it happens.
    Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

The symptoms you describe make me wonder if they could be getting into something toxic, like mushrooms or other plants, or possibly something like botulism. More info on botulism here: http://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/botulism/overview-of-botulism-in-poultry.

If botulism is suspected, it's important to prevent the ducks from getting to the source of the toxin, likely a stagnant pond or something similar. Additional information on treatment and prevention here: https://www.beautyofbirds.com/botulism.html.

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Are Ticks in your region?.....Tick fever possibly?

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    [​IMG] Especially with this always in spring...

5. airkat86

Nov 11, 2014

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the info.

6. FoodFreedomNow

YVW. I hope your drake is doing better soon!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  7. airkat86

Nov 11, 2014

[​IMG]
    Thank you. He's back to his normal self again.

1 person likes this.
  8. FoodFreedomNow

That's great news! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by