Sick Pekin...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by monathequeen, Jun 18, 2010.

1. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Hi Folks.
    I have a 2year old Pekin (female) who has a heavy bottom which seems to be dragging...It looks like she has several eggs stuffed in her and her bottom looks real full and it seems to kind of touch the ground when she walks...no other Duck have this...I have 12
    Is this normal ?
    Also, I haven't had any eggs from these three Pekins in quite awhile now. The are not molting. Is the hot weather causing them to not lay on a daily basis ?
    Could an egg be stuck in her ??
    Thank you for any advice you may have..

2. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    my ducks have decreased their output since hot weather has come in. they still lay, but went from 55-60 eggs per week down to 43-45 just after heat settled in. so yes, heat stress can surely cause decrease in rate of lay. if your pekin girl has egg binding, that could be a real tough sit. i have not dealt with that yet, but maybe some oil around vent and a massage of lower abdomen. you can also probe gently with finger to see if you can feel one in there by actual touch..........i wish you luck...........

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2010
  3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Have you tried feeling her abdomen? If it fells like there are a bunch of eggs in there then she is egg bound. [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    We haven't had an eggbound duck yet, but from what I read, a nice swim in warmish water may help. The oil (or KY jelly) may help lubricate the vent. If it is an egg, we don't want it to break in there.

There are other things that can happen, such as a fluid buildup in the body cavity. Could you take a look at the vent and let us know if you suspect an egg?
    [​IMG]

Sorry I did not see this post earlier.

Has she had any recent injury or illness? Other changes?

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Im guessing maybe an internal layer.

6. monathequeen

monathequeen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Burlington KS
    Thanks Guys....
    I will check her tonight when she is more calm. I don't think she has eggs there but then again, I haven't had eggs from two of them for weeks...I usually get three a day.
    so there are two pekins not laying any longer. But why is one ok, and the other dragging her bottom ????
    i'm puzzled..I believe they are done molting...

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    you might be able to get more help if you posted this in the emergencies/diseases/injuries and cures section. I hope you can find out what's wrong. [​IMG]

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    One of my Ancona hens had the very same bottom the other day....I had closed up the garage where their doggie crates are...she had not laid her egg yet and was walking around waiting for the garage to be opened....as soon as I opened the door, she went in and laid and that was that. No problems with it before or since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by