1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Thebirdwisperr, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Thebirdwisperr

Thebirdwisperr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Hi, I have a 2 and a half month old pekin pekin who I believe is sick, her eye is squinty and watery with what looks like foam coming out of it and she has a limp in her left leg with a slight bare patch above it. If she is sick what can I do to help her? Is she just just hurt in her leg? Please respond!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Does your duckling have a bowl deep enough to wash her face in? that is very important or they can get infections and sinus problems. You can get Terrimycin eye ointment at most feed stores using it as prescribed. Hopefully it isn't something serious. Also if you have some Apple Cider Vinegar till you get the Terrimycin you can put some into a bucket or deep bowl and let her use this for washing her face and for drinking. Amiga our good friend on here would say put the little one into a warm bath so she can wash her face good and you can get a good look at what's going on. As for her leg make sure to check it over for a wound if there isn't one then she/he may have sprained it so put it where it isn't running around much rest and water therapy is very good for leg injuries. You can also soak the leg in some Epsom Salt water[warm] just don't let the duckling drink the water ES works as a laxative. Putting this duckling in some time out may stress it so if it can have a buddy with it, it should do much better. The ACV is 1Tab. to 1 gal of water. Epsom salt soak is 1 cup of ES to 1/2 gal of warm water soaking as long as duckling isn't too stressed maybe 10-15 min. also look at the bottom of the feet to make sure there isn't a cut or something inside the foot. Please let us know how it is doing .Forgot to tell you if you have Veterycin spray for infections and wounds you can use it safely around the face and in the eyes. I had a brahma hen with bubbles in her eyes and treated her for a couple of days with the Vetetrycin spray and she was fine. Even making a saline solution out of salt and warm water and rinsing the eyes can help. Any other symptoms? eating good?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. Thebirdwisperr

May 1, 2012
    Thank you so much for helping me out. I will get some warm water for her to wash her face in. (Where I live I was using a chicken waterer because we already got some snow so I didn't want her to get chilled!) As for any other symptoms she has no others and she is eating normal. Thanks again!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I understand about the chilling part I'll give you some links that show some home waterers that will keep her from getting too wet or being able to get into . I'm glad to hear no other symptoms. How about her leg did you look at it real close and under the foot pad?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426909/non-spill-duckling-waterer/10

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/52173/less-mess-duckling-water/10 You can find pretty cheap plastic bowls at grocery or dollar stores with lids and cut them to the size you need. Then put a large rock in the bottom to keep them from tipping it over...
    one more just for some more ideas. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/813305/containing-the-water

5. Thebirdwisperr

May 1, 2012
    Her foot pad looked fine. But I did figure out what caused her to limp, she has a knot in her muscle just above her hip. I discovered it after I bathed her and was drying off her feathers (she still has some down so I didn't want her to go outside still wet or even damp) when she quacked and so I felt around her leg and found the knot. Do you think she could have gotten the knot by slipping or could she have hit the fence in her pen? Also her eye seems better now that she bathed. I also noticed around her eye was something like the gunk from pink eye, but it washed right off and didn't come back.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She could have slipped and that caused the knot maybe when you let her swim again right after she has been in the warm water massage that knot and see if you can begin to get it worked out. or if she'll let you massage while she is in the warm water. Glad to hear about her eye. If you can pick up some Apple Cider Vinegar and add it to their drinking water it really does have antibacterial proprieties to it and can help. If your buying some get the unpasteurized it still has the mother in it and is better for them. http://keeping-chickens.me.uk/what-to-keep-in-stock/apple-cider-vinegar Hopefully by weeks end you'll see much improvement in her leg and eyes.

7. Thebirdwisperr

May 1, 2012
    Hi, my pekin's leg and eye appear to be getting worse. It's almost like her leg is paralyzed and the foam around her eye seems to have come back. Also as if this wasn't bad enough her other leg appears to be getting weaker. I feed her and her sister broiler feed. Do you think it could be the feed? Also her sister appears to be perfectly fine.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If it were me, I would be considering giving her an oral antibiotic very soon. It just may be a systemic infection.

I would also be misting her eye with either saline solution or Veterycin, and rubbing antibiotic ointment without painkiller into both feet and legs. I would give extra vitamins as well.

And if I could, I would get her to a vet.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think Amiga is right, What all have you done so far for her? Duramycin can be found at just about all feed stores you might want to put her on a round of it. mixed into her water. I believe it's for 7 days.

10. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan

Does your Pekin have the deep bowl all the time? She should. Personally I do not use antibiotics, but seems to me like Amiga & Miss Lydia have def given you good advice, I think something is certainly amiss. Please post back what you find out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by