Sick Peking duckling!

aforshee

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2017
I have a 4 week old Peking duckling that is not acting like the others. I noticed he had very turned in legs about a week ago and read to supplement niacin and brewers yeast. I have been and have not noticed any improvements yet. He also does not seem to be growing as much as the other Peking duck and just doesn't seem to be as active as the other. Now he is showing some new symptoms. Yesterday I noticed that he has a reddish orange spot growing on his bill. Also, he has a dark colored diarrhea. Please help!
2639.png

The spot on his bill has gone away. I think it was some type of bruise? Maybe he had gotten it caught on something in the brooder. The diarrhea also seems to have gone away too!
1f60a.png
His feet however are still a concern. I have been giving him niacin every day and it still really bad. (See picture)

Hmm, that is troublesome. I have a few questions.

Does he walk okay?
What are you giving them for primary feed?
How are you giving the Niacin & how much are you giving?

I'm going to tag some members that know much more than I do. Please come back and answer the questions as soon as you can. @aforshee

@Miss Lydia
@Amiga
@WVduckchick
@Pyxis
@casportpony

I have been feeding them non medicated chick starter. I have been putting 100mg of niacin and 1 T of brewers yeast in their water daily. And no, he is not walking well at all. He constantly is tripping over his feet.

I have been feeding them non medicated chick starter. I have been putting 100mg of niacin and 1 T of brewers yeast in their water daily. And no, he is not walking well at all. He constantly is tripping over his feet.

Well, the poor baby. The others are all still fine, right? How many do you have? (Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but some of the others will likely be by later.) I don't know whether or not you can give too much Niacin. Brewers yeast is a source of Niacin so I really don't think you need to give both. I will say, though, that since there's no way to really measure how much water they're drinking, it may be better to add to their food. I used to give 1 T of brewers yeast to a cup of food. That worked well for my 8 ducklings.

The spot on his bill has gone away. I think it was some type of bruise? Maybe he had gotten it caught on something in the brooder. The diarrhea also seems to have gone away too!
1f60a.png
His feet however are still a concern. I have been giving him niacin every day and it still really bad. (See picture)
If this is how he stands normal I can see why he can't walk well. Poor thing. Do they get pool time? If it's warm enough I'd get him in the pool often [make sure they can get in an out safely and it's not too cool out so they don't chill] water therapy will help strengthen his legs he may never walk normal because looks like most of the damage is already done. One reason we encourage getting them on the B3 supplement as soon as hatch or as soon as you get them. But using the Brewers yeast or niacin should help he needs at least 150mgs of niacin a day mixed into a gallon of fresh water or 1 Tab of Nutritional yeast [my preference]more niacin, or brewers yeast sprinkled over top of each cup of feed daily.

If it isn't warm enough outside for pool time then inside in warm tub water very important to get those legs strong. @aforshee

Last edited:
He may have hip joint problems (probably not the right term).

If possible a good duck vet would be best.

May have had splay leg and is compensating.

Does someone have the link to poultry podiatry?

I am guessing some prosthetic help is needed as well as vitamins and time floating in lukewarm water with constant supervision.

Back
Top Bottom